Landlords will want to pay close attention to the requirements found in this new law before filing any residential evictions.
With over 80 attorneys, our Litigation group is one of the largest and most experienced in the Upper Midwest. In addition to trying cases in the state and federal courts, our attorneys also litigate before domestic and international arbitration tribunals and administrative agencies.
See complete list of Services below.
What We Do
When individuals and businesses face litigation, they want more than just aggressive representation. They want an attorney that has the experience and judgment to guide them to the best resolution possible, whether that be through trial or a business solution. In short, they want attorneys who have a proven track record of success.
At Fredrikson & Byron, we deliver on both counts. With over 80 attorneys, our Litigation group is one of the largest and most experienced in the Upper Midwest. We try cases in state and federal courts, before domestic and international arbitration tribunals, and in front of administrative agencies. Because we have substantial experience in a wide range of litigation areas, our attorneys are frequently called upon locally, nationally and internationally to represent clients in highly complex disputes. In each case, our goal remains the same: To achieve the best possible outcome for our clients through aggressive and experienced representation.
Our Litigation practice group offers a comprehensive range of services, including:
- Antitrust Litigation
- Banking & Financial Services Litigation
- Class Action/Wage and Hour Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Communications, Media & Entertainment Litigation
- Construction Disputes
- E-Discovery Strategy & Advocacy
- Employment & Labor Litigation
- Environmental and Land Use Disputes
- Government and Regulatory Cases
- Health Licensing Defense
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Internal Investigations
- Medical Practices Defense
- Securities Litigation
- Shareholder & Partnership Disputes
- Tax Disputes
- Trade Secrets
- Trusts & Estates Litigation
- White Collar & Regulatory Defense
- Fredrikson & Byron successfully obtained a decision from the Minnesota Supreme Court clarifying what activities constitute a continuation, rather than an expansion, of a nonconforming land use in Minnesota. Represented the landfill operator in this significant nonconforming use rights case, AIM Dev. (USA), LLC v. City of Sartell, 946 N.W.2d 330 (Minn. 2020).
- Starting in 2014, we defended Hormel Foods Corporation in Minnesota Federal Court against claims that it misappropriated trade secrets, and breached multiple contracts with the plaintiff related to a failed joint development program. At the center of the lawsuit was Hormel’s innovative and revolutionary new process for making a next generation of pre-cooked bacon Hormel markets under the brand Bacon1. The plaintiff sought damages in excess of $60 million. After two years of litigation, Fredrikson’s litigation team defeated each of the plaintiff’s claims on summary judgment. The Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals affirmed Hormel’s victory in 2018, and the District Court subsequently awarded Hormel over $800,000 in fees and costs in defending the lawsuit. Fredrikson is also representing Hormel in two patent infringement lawsuits filed in 2018 relating to this hybrid bacon cooking process technology, and has already defeated the infringement claims in one of those lawsuits.
- Fredrikson & Byron Captures Two Iowa Supreme Court Wins in Favor of Wind Energy Development. Click here for more information.
- Fredrikson & Byron Obtains $12.8 Million Award for H.B. Fuller Company (NYSE: FUL) in an arbitration against the consulting company Accenture for failing to lead H.B. Fuller’s global ERP (enterprise resource planning software) implementation. Click here for more information.
- Fredrikson & Byron Represents City of New Brighton in Contamination Settlement with U.S. Army. Click here for more information.
News & Articles
December 21, 2020
When faced with a difficult decision on whether to make a payment consider the powerful impact of the voluntary payment doctrine.
October 4, 2019
Fredrikson & Byron has been listed to the Honor Roll in BTI Consulting Group’s BTI Litigation Outlook 2020.
May 8, 2019
Fredrikson & Byron attorneys Bret A. Dublinske and Brant M. Leonard captured victories in two separate cases before the Iowa Supreme Court on May 3, 2019.
March 19, 2019
On April 24, 2019, Fredrikson & Byron’s Litigation Group presented a moderated panel discussion with United States District Court Magistrate Judges Bowbeer, Thorson, Menendez and Wright.
April 10, 2018
Fredrikson presented a moderated panel discussion for practicing lawyers regarding district court and appellate practice with Minnesota Court of Appeals Judges on May 15.
February 5, 2015
Fredrikson & Byron represented the City of New Brighton in achieving a $59.4 million settlement with the United States Army.
January 19, 2015
Attorney Aron J. Frakes joins Fredrikson & Byron’s Litigation Group as an officer. Frakes was most recently a litigation partner in the Chicago office of McDermott Will & Emery. Frakes represents clients in a wide variety of disputes, including large contract disputes, product liability defense, class action defense, fraud and conspiracy cases, consumer fraud actions, construction litigation, professional engineering malpractice defense, and toxic tort mass actions. Frakes is licensed to practice in Illinois and is in the process of applying to be licensed in Minnesota.
Grant Fairbairn Named Chair of the MN Intellectual Property Law Association’s Patent Litigation – ADR – CAFC Committee
February 19, 2014
Fredrikson & Byron attorney Grant D. Fairbairn was recently appointed to Chair of the Minnesota Intellectual Property Law Association’s Patent Litigation – ADR – CAFC Committee.
February 2, 2014
NITA selected Jeffrey to join the faculty of NITA Gulf Coast Regional Trial Advocacy Training Program.