Mergers & Acquisitions
We bring lessons learned from decades of M&A experience. Our team has completed thousands of transactions, delivering fast, accurate evaluations of proposed structures and terms, effective communication during negotiations and trusted guidance to help close deals and achieve goals.
What We Do
We put you first.
Our understanding of your goals defines how we do business.
- Superior responsiveness and service delivery.
- Sophisticated, high quality advice delivered in a way that lets business people make business decisions.
- Business network collaboration to get the deal done – beyond the legal work.
- Flexibility and creativity in pricing and no surprises in your legal bills at closing.
We work with strategic and private equity buyers and sellers across a wide variety of industries, as well as institutions, funds and individuals who provide capital and direction.
- Billions in M&A and financing transactions each year.
- Negotiation of sophisticated deals opposite the largest law firms coast to coast.
- Exceptional guidance identifying and evaluating opportunities for growth and liquidity by merger, divestiture, minority investment, joint venture, strategic alliance and licensing.
- Experience in-house at companies like Medtronic, St. Jude, Polaris and General Mills.
- Subject matter experts in all areas impacting growth transactions, including finance, cross-border, IP, antitrust, employment, benefits, real estate, antitrust, environmental, FCPA, FDA and supply chain.
Our team represents over 100 clients in M&A transactions every year. In 2014 we closed over 200 transactions worth nearly $8 billion in diverse industries through a comprehensive range of transaction structures. We maintain a strong concentration in the health care and life sciences industries, representing over 150 clients on the leading edge of medical devices, diagnostics, imaging, health IT, care delivery, biologics and pharmaceuticals. We also represent a number of clients in the manufacturing, energy, food, service and technology industries.
Here are a few examples of our recent work:
- Bio-Techne: Over $500 million of transactions in the last three years. Recent acquisitions include Bionostics, Protein Simple, CyVek, Novus Biologicals and Cliniqa. Also provide corporate governance support to the board of directors and company leadership and advice regarding SEC compliance, employment, benefits, litigation and other matters.
- Carlson, Inc.: Acquisition of interest in the Carlson Wagonlit Travel (CWT) business from JPMorgan Chase & Co., giving Carlson 100% ownership of CWT.
- Eurofins Scientific SE: Several acquisitions totaling over $800 million including recent acquisitions of QC Laboratories, Experchem Laboratories, BioDiagnostics, Boston Heart and ViraCor-Laboratories.
- Medtronic: Hundreds of growth transactions including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures; securities offerings; strategic investments; secured, unsecured, and convertible debt; acquisition options; rights of first refusal/negotiation and distribution, manufacturing/supply and IP license agreements. Recent representation includes Medtronic’s acquisition of Visualase in an all-cash merger transaction valued at $105 million.
- MVC Capital: Represented MVC in the acquisition of the business of AccuMED Innovative Technologies, a company with significant operations located in Free Trade Zones in the Dominican Republic. The deal allowed MVC to establish a new platform for growth in the area of medical device component manufacturing.
- Talenti Gelato & Sorbetto: Represented the Minneapolis-based gelato company founded in 2003 in its sale to Unilever. Talenti was ranked as Minnesota’s fourth fastest-growing company by the Minneapolis-St. Paul Business Journal in 2014.
- Thomson Reuters: Acquisitions of technology businesses from several private entities.
Fredrikson & Byron Represents Securian Financial Group in its Transaction with Kestra Financial, Inc.
December 15, 2017
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to Securian Financial Group in its sale of H. Beck, Inc. to Kestra Financial, Inc.Read More
April 28, 2017
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to Sajan Inc. (NASDAQ: SAJA), a full-service language translation and localization services provider, in its merger agreement with AMPLEXOR International SA, a leading digital solution provider headquartered in Luxembourg.Read More
January 27, 2017
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to Arctic Cat Inc. (NASDAQ: ACAT), a Minnesota-based manufacturer of snowmobiles, ATVs and other power sports products and accessories, in its merger agreement with Textron Inc, a leading global manufacturer of golf cars, utility and personal transportation vehicles, professional turf-care equipment and ground support equipment.Read More
November 2, 2016
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to Securian Financial Group in its expansion into the Canadian market.Read More
October 13, 2016
On October 8, 2016, China's Ministry of Commerce issued interim measures further stream-lining the process for establishing companies in China and related corporate changes. Find out how this will impact companies doing business in China and future investment.Read More
Fredrikson & Byron Represents Stone-Goff Partners in its sale of Learners Edge to L Squared Capital Partners
September 14, 2016
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to private equity investment firm Stone-Goff Partners (SGP) in its sale of Learners Edge to L Squared Capital Partners, a private equity firm specializing in education investments. Learners Edge is a leading online direct-to-teacher continuing education provider in the U.S.Read More
Fredrikson & Byron Represents Bio-Techne Corporation in its Acquisition of Advanced Cell Diagnostics
August 5, 2016
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to Bio-Techne Corporation (NASDAQ: TECH), a global life sciences company providing innovative tools and bioactive reagents for the research and clinical diagnostic communities, in its acquisition of Advanced Cell Diagnostics (ACD), a leader in the emerging field of molecular pathology, developing cell- and tissue-based diagnostic tests for personalized medicine.Read More
August 1, 2016
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to Greene Holcomb Fisher, a mergers & acquisitions advisory firm, in its sale to BMO Financial Group (TSX:BMO) (NYSE:BMO), a leading financial services provider.Read More
July 25, 2016
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to SportsEngine, a leading provider of Sport Life Management web software and mobile applications for youth, amateur and professional sports, in its acquisition of Beyond The Scores, a leading provider of technology for gymnastics organizations.Read More
Fredrikson & Byron Represents Goldner Hawn Johnson & Morrison in its Sale of Universal Turbine Parts, LLC
July 22, 2016
Fredrikson & Byron acted as legal counsel to Goldner Hawn Johnson & Morrison, a private equity investment firm, in its sale of Universal Turbine Parts, LLC (UTP), which specializes in selling refurbished turboprop engine components and engines.Read More