- Posts by Jodie Clark McDougalShareholder
In her construction work, Jodie counsels clients within the commercial and residential construction industries including general contractors; homebuilders; construction management companies; architectural, engineering ...
With the rise in construction projects that are audited, it is important for owners, general contractors and subcontractors of all tiers to understand both the basics and specific concepts regarding construction audits and seek legal counsel as needed.
Effective July 1, 2022, Iowa added an alternative project delivery method to the options available to Iowa public entities–construction manager at risk, also known as CM at risk and CMAR.
On June 17, 2022, the Iowa Supreme Court rendered a decision in the Borst Brothers Const. v. Finance of America case involving a mechanic’s lien, which addressed one aspect of the pre-lien notice requirement for Iowa subcontractors on residential projects.
Non-disclosure agreements (NDAs) are often part of the discussions my clients have surrounding a potential construction or real estate project to protect the confidential information regarding the project and proprietary information of the parties.
In the last several months, I have heard from many homebuilders and general contractor clients regarding the substantial increases in the cost of lumber and other materials; HBA Iowa reports about an 80 percent increase in lumber costs since mid-April.
On February 7, 2020, the Iowa Supreme Court issued a final decision in Standard Water v. Jones, a long-standing residential mechanic’s lien case stemming back to a 2013 mechanic’s lien.
On February 14, 2020, the Iowa Supreme Court issued decisions in three companion cases involving residential contractor, 33 Carpenters Construction, affirming the Court of Appeals’ decisions against such contractor.
- General Contractors Beware: New Wage Protections for Minnesota Construction Employees
- Supreme Court Significantly Contracts Scope of Clean Water Act Jurisdiction Over Wetlands
- The Rise in Audited Construction Projects: What You Need to Know
- Construction Manager at Risk Project Delivery Method Now Permitted for Iowa Public Projects
- Iowa Supreme Court Issues Opinion RE: Subcontractor Preliminary Notices
- NDAs: What to Consider Before Signing on the Dotted Line
- Where Will It Rain? Project Opportunities Created by the 2021 Infrastructure Investment and Jobs Act
- Check Yourself, Before You Wreck Your Claim
- Breaking the Covenants? A Way to Restrict Lakeshore Development
- Would You Like the Implied Warranty? A Look at Disclaimers of the Home Construction Warranties
- EventOctober 24 & 26, 2023Fredrikson's 39th Annual Employment & Labor Law Seminar
- EventHealth Law Webinar—HIPAA and Health Privacy FAQ Session
- EventHealthcare Immigration Prescriptions – Immigration Strategies for Physicians and Allied Health Staff in both Clinical and Academic Healthcare Practices
- EventEmpowering Growth: Revenue-Based Financing for Emerging Enterprises