Linda’s work over 18 years as a nine-term member of the Iowa House of Representatives, including serving as House Majority Leader, and as Iowa’s first female Speaker of the House of Representatives, provides her with a deep understanding of the region’s legislative processes.
Linda’s leadership in shaping public policy, and her vast relationships within the Iowa political and legislative landscape, equip her with unique skills to provide strategic policy consulting for clients. A renowned leader in Iowa and across the country, Linda helps set a vision for the Iowa government relations practice and lead our growth initiatives. With years of Leadership experience at the Capitol in Des Moines, Linda has brokered countless negotiations within her Republican Caucus and across the aisle with Democratic members on major policy initiatives. She is no stranger to solving complex and, at times, contentious problems through consensus building and collaboration. Throughout her time in elected office, Linda never lost sight of the reason she was elected – to serve Iowans. She brings this same verve and servant leadership to her work with clients.
First elected in 2002, Linda served on several legislative committees in the Iowa House. Linda served as the Republican Whip, later as Majority Leader, and ultimately was elected Speaker of the House in 2016. Linda was the first woman to serve in the role. In fact, Linda and her father are reportedly the first father and daughter pair in the nation to have both served as state Speakers of the House. In these roles, she worked to enact major policy reforms in the areas of commerce, workforce, taxes, education, and health care. Throughout her public service, Linda has been a go-to representative on several issues, including income tax reform and collective bargaining changes.
A native of Garner, Iowa, Linda grew up on a 5th generation family farm. Linda graduated from NIACC in 1988 with an Associates Degree in Nursing. She then went on to obtain her Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing from University of Iowa, and finally her Master’s Degree in Nursing from Drake University. For more than two decades, Linda worked for MercyOne in Mason City, IA. As a Nurse Practitioner, her primary focus was on cardiology and case management.
Linda and her husband, Doug, have five children and seven grandchildren. Linda is the daughter of Harriet Stromer and the late Del Stromer.
Linda is not licensed to practice law. Her role is focused on legislative policy consulting.
- 2015 Connect Every Acre
- 2016 Tax Reform (Largest tax relief bill in IA until 2022 bill)
- 2018 Energy Reform bill
- 2018 Mental Health Reform
- 2018 Opioid Reduction
- 2018 Future Ready Iowa
- 2019 Empower Rural Iowa
- Drake University, M.S.N., 1999
- University of Iowa, B.S.N., 1996
- North Iowa Area Community College, A.D.N., 1988
- Legacy Award, Iowans for Tax Relief, 2020
- Iron Lady Award, ALEC, 2018
- Uncommon Public Service Award, Hoover Presidential Foundation, 2016
- Jefferson Award, ALEC, 2014
Civic & Professional
- Iowa House of Representatives, Speaker, 2016-2020
- Iowa House of Representatives, House Majority Leader, 2010-2015
- Iowa House of Representatives, House Republican Whip, 2008-2010
- Iowa House of Representatives, Republican Party, House District 54, 2013-2021
- Iowa House of Representatives, Republican Party, District 12, 2003-2013
- American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC), Board of Directors, National Chair, 2014
- Midwestern Legislative Conference (MLC), Executive Committee Member, 2012-2020
- Center to Restore the Balance of Government, 2014-2019
- National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) Executive Committee, 2017-2020
- Right Women, Right Now, Co-Chair, 2018
- Republican Party of Iowa, Co-Chair, 2021-present
- Nurse practitioner (ARNP-c)
- Rural Development Partners, Forest City, Iowa, Board Member, 2022
- Care Initiatives, Board Member, 2022
- Iowa/American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, Member, 2022
- Farm Bureau, Member, 2022
- Zion Evangelical and Reformed Church
- North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC), Former Trustee
- National and Iowa associations of Community College Trustees, Former Board Member
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
NCSL Leadership Seminar, Normandy, France, 2017
Participant, National Security Seminar at U.S. Army War College, 2017
Darden Institute at the University of Virginia, 2010
Toll Fellow program, 2006
Bowhay Institute for Legislative Leadership Development (BILLD), 2004