Adam’s practice focuses on advising clients on the full range of antitrust and competition law, including advocacy before the U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Trade Commission and foreign competition authorities.
Adam also advises client on defense of criminal and civil government investigations; litigating civil damages actions involving monopolization, cartelization or other anticompetitive conduct; coordinating multi-jurisdictional merger notifications and investigations; defense of government merger challenges; representation of companies and individuals in grand jury investigations; and antitrust compliance counseling.
Adam is an attorney in Fredrikson’s Antitrust & Trade Regulation, Corporate and Litigation groups.
Before joining Fredrikson, Adam spent nearly eight years in private practice in Washington, DC, focused on antitrust and government investigations. Adam has experience working with clients in industries ranging from chemicals and basic materials to medical devices, pharmaceuticals, data storage systems and electronic trading platforms. Adam is currently licensed in New York.
- Analyzed the competitive impact of numerous transactions in various industries and advised clients about the likely outcome of related government merger investigations.
- Advised major multinational chemical companies on U.S. and global merger notification requirements.
- Coordinated defense of international merger investigations, including the negotiation of an FTC order requiring a divestiture, in connection with a major medical device company’s acquisition of an alleged rival firm with a leading new technology.
- Assisted a leading producer of data storage systems in connection with the FTC’s review of its hostile offer for an alleged rival.
- Drafted a white paper and prepared related witnesses for depositions in connection with the Department of Justice’s investigation of the combination of two household-name appliance companies.
- Part of a team that won dismissal of the FTC’s challenge to the combination of two Pennsylvania local natural gas utilities (in a transaction that was abandoned while awaiting decision on the FTC’s appeal).
- Prepared witnesses, drafted briefing and coordinated discovery in complex competitor, direct and indirect purchaser class actions in defense of a major pharmaceutical company facing allegations of monopolization through abuse of patents and trade secrets.
- Drafted briefing in successful motion to strike inappropriate antitrust counterclaims in state court collections action on behalf of a maker of glassware.
- Coordinated the defense of civil damages actions in U.S., U.K. and Italy alleging price fixing in the synthetic rubber industry.
- Advised clients with significant market share on pricing, discounting and bundling policies.
- Counseled multinational electronics producer on the conduct of a global antitrust compliance audit.
- Represented clients through all stages of grand jury investigations into alleged price fixing, from subpoena compliance through the successful resolution of the investigation without charges or the entry of a guilty plea.
- Advised clients on whether and when to seek amnesty under the leniency policy of the Antitrust Division of the Department of Justice.
- Counseled an individual subject of a grand jury investigation into alleged bid-rigging in government contracting.
- George Washington University Law School, J.D., 2002, with honors
- University of Minnesota-Twin Cities, B.S.B., 1999
- District of Columbia
- New York (inactive)
- Minnesota Super Lawyers Rising Star, Antitrust Litigation, 2013
Civic & Professional
- American Bar Association, Antitrust Section
- The George Washington Law Review, Member