Justin is a shareholder in the Bismarck office. He is an experienced real estate attorney with a multi-faceted practice focused on advising clients regarding surface and subsurface real estate transactions.
Justin’s oil and gas practice primarily involves title examination, title curative work, and mineral interest purchases and sales. Justin’s real estate practice involves nearly every aspect of commercial and residential real estate development and ownership including preparation and negotiation of purchase and sale documents, leases, and easements, 1031-exchange transactions, representation before governmental bodies associated with subdivision, zoning, and related issues. Justin also assists clients with mortgage financing and foreclosure, landlord-tenant disputes, and construction lien issues. In addition to real estate, Justin assists clients with estate administration (probate) and various corporate matters.
Prior to joining Fredrikson, Justin worked at a prominent North Dakota firm where he represented developers, builders and individuals in a variety of legal matters, helped manage a firm-operated title company, and was a licensed title insurance agent for Chicago Title Insurance Company. Before entering private practice, Justin served as a law clerk for the Burleigh County District Court where he gained invaluable experience analyzing litigated real estate and contract issues.
Oil & Gas
- Prepared numerous oil and gas title opinions including many involving complex non-participating royalty ownership issues and riparian lands adjacent to Missouri River and Lake Sakakawea reservoir.
- Represented oil and gas operator in mineral acquisition transactions involving various title curative matters and FIRPTA issues related to Sellers’ foreign citizenship.
- Represented multi-entity holding company in sale of multi-family housing portfolio and complex ownership modification and refinancing transaction.
- Represented large general contractor in connection with a $20 million construction and lease-back transaction involving Bismarck, ND senior living and rehabilitation facility.
- Represented multi-state developer in $14 million combined asset and real estate transaction involving sale of western North Dakota travel center to national travel center operator.
- Represented national pharmaceutical research company with purchase and leasing of specialized facility from prior owner’s bankruptcy estate.
- Prepared and wrote numerous owners and lenders opinions, commitments, and title insurance policies and co-managed firm-owned title company.
- Represented numerous parties in the purchase, sale, leasing, and management of various residential and commercial properties including agricultural land and multi-use commercial developments.
- University of North Dakota School of Law, J.D., 2011 with distinction
- University of North Dakota, B.S., 2008
- North Dakota, 2011
- Clerk, North Dakota South Central Judicial District, Burleigh County District Court, 2011-2012
- Legal Extern, North Dakota Supreme Court, 2010
- Legal Extern, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
Civic & Professional
- Board of Directors, Bismarck Library Foundation, Director
- Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation, Member
- Landman’s Association of North Dakota, Member
- North Dakota Law Review, Associate Editor, 2010-2011