Katie has a unique and practical background counseling business and higher education organizations on employment and personnel matters, discrimination and harassment, Title IX and other compliance concerns.
As an employment attorney, Katie brings experience as both an advisor and litigator as well as in-house counsel, which allows her to work with clients to prevent legal problems through substantive trainings and identifying risks while also providing thoughtful responses to concerns that may arise. Her work as a Title IX coordinator for a private college also allows her to advise on policies and procedures that not only comply with current laws but also make sense practically for the organization. Through each of these roles, Katie has also developed significant experience advising and conducting internal investigations into workplace and education matters as well as drafting and reviewing employee handbooks and university policies. Katie is also an adjunct Employment Law instructor at Drake University Law School.
- Provided regular advice to human resources staff and managers regarding employee performance and concerns including Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), performance management and complaint resolution.
- Advised and created new employee disability accommodation process and related forms and communication.
- Supported large public university for over a decade as the in-house employment attorney, advising on employment actions and formal employee complaint processes; advised on faculty-conduct cases and grievance processes; proposed and revised university-wide policies; and responded to complaints with state and federal agencies such as the Iowa Civil Rights Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity, the Iowa Department of Labor, and the Office for Civil Rights as well as the National Collegiate Athletic Association.
- Created the first free-standing Title IX office at a private university, including developing policies and procedures, conducting campus-wide education of faculty, staff, and students, and managing the complaint process including working with both parties and their representatives.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., with high distinction
- Washington University in St. Louis, B.A.
- Iowa, 1997
Civic & Professional
- Iowa State Bar Association Board of Governors, 2022-present
- Iowa State Bar Association, Centralized Diversity Task Force, 2021-2022
- Polk County Bar Association Board of Directors, 2021-present
- National Association for Law Placement, 2019-2023
- National Association of College and University Attorneys, 2003-2013; 2015-2023
- Iowa Law Review, Managing Editor, 1996-1997
- Iowa Rush Soccer Club, Board of Directors, 2012-2018; Volunteer Youth Coach, 2005–2013
- Girls on the Run of Central Iowa, 2014
- Blank Children’s Hospital, Child Life Services, 2013-2014
- Julie Foudy Sports Leadership Academy, Coach/Leadership Staff, 2014
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, Title IX Reporting and Obligations, Ankeny Community School District
- Presenter, How Advocates and Title IX Personnel Can Best Work Together, Iowa State Board of Regents Campus Safety and Security Summit, 2017
- Presenter, Fair Labor Standards Act, National Association of College and University Attorneys Annual Conference, 2005
- Presenter, Discrimination and Harassment Trainings for Faculty, Staff, Leadership, and Athletic Department, Iowa State University, 2003-2013
- Presenter, Personnel Matters (Including FLSA, FMLA, Background Checks, Performance Management), Iowa State University, 2005-2006
- Presenter, Student Disability Accommodations, National Academic Advising Association, 2008
- Presenter, Complex Issues Under the New ADAAA, National Association for College and University Attorneys CLE, 2009
- Presenter, Big XII Human Resource Conference, 2010
- Presenter, Association of Departments of Foreign Languages Annual Conference, 2010
- Presenter, Story County Sexual Assault Response Team, 2011
- Moderator, National Association of College and University Attorneys Spring CLE
- Presenter, Title IX Dear Colleague Letter, National Association for College and University Attorneys, 2012
- Presenter, Title IX, Iowa Chapter of College and University Professional Association for Human Resources, 2012