Ryan helps real estate developers, landowners and business owners of all sizes and types achieve their business goals in Ames, Iowa.
Ryan assists clients with real estate projects, business formation and transactions, and estate planning. His extensive real estate practice includes commercial and residential development, multi-family and landowner matters of all varieties, including agriculture and agri-business.
He works with clients of various sizes, from large national companies to smaller local entities in all aspects of real estate acquisitions and sales, from negotiating the transaction to working on due diligence matters including land use issues and tax deferred exchanges. Ryan also assists his clients in post-close matters, including assisting multi-family clients with operations, leasing compliance and property management matters.
Ryan assists ag clients, from family farm startups to larger ag entities, both as it pertains to real estate acquisitions and sales and assisting in corporate structuring and governance.
Ryan helps real estate developers and individuals with real estate gifting arrangements, assists with legal and tax issues involved in gifting, advises individuals and businesses throughout the state of Iowa and when needed acts as local counsel for out-of-state clients involved in real estate and business transactions. He counsels landlords regarding evictions, complaints (including related to the Americans with Disabilities Act) and issues relating to abandoned mobile homes or properties.
Ryan helps clients starting new businesses and clients desiring to purchase existing businesses. He counsels clients with business organization and startups, mergers, acquisitions and sales, including capital fundraising efforts. He collaborates with appraisers, valuation experts, accountants and a variety of other professionals to provide exceptional guidance for his clients. In addition to real estate and business matters, Ryan maintains an active estate planning practice, assisting farmers, business owners and others with their wills, trusts, powers of attorney and tax planning.
He represents lenders in residential and commercial real estate transactions and his experience includes drafting loan documents and other security instruments, providing enforceability opinions and working directly with owners and brokers to close residential and commercial transactions.
- Assisted large real estate client in developing fifty-five plus community, including real estate acquisition, capital fundraising for construction of project, and creation of leasing documents.
- National Energy Holding Company: Part of the due diligence team helping one of the largest energy holdings companies in the U.S. with various wind projects. In the last year, the combined projects consisted of 230 wind turbines, $321 million in local property taxes, and 27 full-time jobs.
- National Manufactured Home Community Operator: Acted as co-general counsel for the company and its subsidiaries. The team handles all manner of legal matters including construction, real estate, employment landlord/tenant matters, and finance.
- Residential and Commercial Real Estate Company: During the government shut down, Ryan completed several successful deals including two acquisitions totaling approximately $26.5 million. Also assisted in the completion of the sale of series of holdings by four affiliate entities with a sale price of approximately $13 million.
- Start-Up Company: Assisted a start-up business by creating a multi-layered organizational structure and private placement offering for capital fundraising. Ryan led the team to raise capital for a series of commercial real estate acquisitions including negotiating the first round of acquisitions and closing the transactions.
- Assisted family farm corporation, with crop, livestock, chemical, and grain operations in transitioning and restructuring corporation and affiliated entities, and in including acquisitions and sales of farm ground.
- Real Estate Developer: Represented a real estate developer as they launched a self-storage company; formed four new business entities with multi-layer organization structure and advised on the $7 million capital fundraising effort including crafting a multifaceted private placement offering.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Manufacturer: Represented a vegetable oil processing company and supplier in the sale of interest in a glycerin and oil business. The sale involved a debt assumption, with the total purchase price of the sale of approximately $20 million.
- Waste Management Company: Represented the seller in the $9.5 million sale of the company.
- University of Iowa College of Law, 2010, J.D., with distinction
- Iowa State University, 2005, B.A., with distinction
- Iowa, 2010
- Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Stars: Real Estate, 2017-2020
Civic & Professional
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Story County Bar Association, Member; President, 2018-2019
- Ames Foundation, Member; Board of Directors, 2019-2022
- Citizens Police Academy Mock Trial, Judge, 2014-2016
- Nevada Parks and Recreation Special Committee, Member, 2015
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Featured Guest, “Finding the Right Entity Structure for You,” Farm4Profit, episode 247, January 16, 2023
Co-Author, "Iowa Chapter, USA Regional Real Estate," Chambers and Partners, 2019