Wayne is an experienced business lawyer with an industry focus in real estate and agribusiness.
Wayne draws heavily on his business and legal experience as in-house general counsel in providing practical legal solutions for his clients. He guides clients through day-to-day legal and business issues and represents them at key business milestones, including real estate transactions, financing, construction and other commercial transactions.
Wayne grew up on a family farm, has substantial experience in agriculture and carries a deep understanding of the issues that affect agricultural producers and agribusinesses.
Prior to rejoining the firm, Wayne was general counsel of a real estate investment management company, an affiliated property management company and two real estate investment trusts (REITs), where he worked on acquisitions, dispositions, leasing and development of a billion-dollar real estate portfolio. He also previously served as senior vice president and general counsel of a regional Farm Credit System institution involved in all aspects of agricultural lending and finance.
- General Counsel with overall responsibility for the legal affairs of two REITs holding over a combined $1 billion of primarily multifamily, office and industrial properties in over a dozen states, including acquisitions, dispositions, commercial leasing, financing, construction and corporate governance.
- Represented a technology company in the purchase and financing of manufacturing and office space in the North Dakota State University Research and Technology Park.
- Buyer’s counsel in the acquisition of 5,403 acres of North Dakota irrigated farmland.
- Buy and sell side representation in transactions for the purchase and sale of commercial grain elevators.
- North Dakota counsel for several transactions in the Williston Basin, including acquisitions of a crude oil terminal, produced water pipelines and a saltwater disposal well.
- Outside counsel to a North Dakota REIT in multiple mortgage loan financing transactions.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1991, cum laude
- North Dakota State University, B.S. in Economics, 1988, with honors
- North Dakota
- Lawyer of the Year–Fargo Corporate Law, The Best Lawyers in America, 2017
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, North Dakota - Corporate/Commercial, 2015-2018
Civic & Professional
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Fargo Moorhead Trailbuilders, Board of Directors