View on Demand
Click here to view this webinar on demand.
Please Note: This presentation includes audio skips throughout the presentation. We apologize for the inconvenience and invite you to contact us if you have questions about any of the topics presented.
Members of Fredrikson's Health Law Group will discuss the recently published, sweeping changes to the HIPAA Privacy and Security Rules that will have a major effect on the privacy practices of covered entities and their business associates. We will also provide advice on how to bring your organization into compliance by the compliance date of September 23, 2013. Some of the most significant changes include:
- Expansion of patients' rights to receive electronic copies of health information
- Requirements for modifying and redistributing the Notice of Privacy Practices
- New standards for determining when there is a "breach," triggering patient/media notification
- Business associates now directly liable for compliance with certain Privacy and Security Rule provisions
- Changes to research authorization requirements
- Modifications to the Privacy Rule regarding the disclosure of genetic information
- Increased liability for violations by covered entities and business associates
The Office for Civil Right has been increasing enforcement actions for years, and covered entities and business associates that ignore, or are unaware of, their significant obligations are at risk, and could face significant penalties for noncompliance.