Scott is a trial attorney, certified licensing professional and registered patent attorney with expertise in patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret litigation, and licensing.
Scott represents clients in state and federal court proceedings on a variety of intellectual property matters, including patent infringement, trademark infringement, trade secret misappropriation, copyright infringement, unfair competition, tortious interference and licensing disputes. He also prosecutes mechanical, software and business method patents, as well as trademark and copyright applications.
Scott frequently performs related opinion work involving in-depth analysis of patent validity and infringement questions and files patents in the mechanical and electrical arts. His experience spans numerous industries, including automotive, business services, consumer products, food and agriculture, health care, industrial manufacturing, pharmaceuticals, retail, construction, manufacturing, genetics and international importation in state, federal, and international jurisdictions and in patent and trademark prosecutions, appeals and reexaminations before the United States Patent and Trademark Office
- B.T. Enterprises et. al. v. West Worldwide Services, Inc., Civil Action No. 2:14-CV-085-LRS (E.D. Wash. 2014) (First Chair attorney representing Defendant, West Worldwide, in an alleged trade dress infringement/trade secret misappropriation jury trial; case on appeal after jury verdict invalidated all of Plaintiffs’ intellectual property).
- Meridian Mfg. v. C&B Mfg., Civil Action No. C15-4238-LTS (N.D. Iowa 2015) (First Chair attorney representing Plaintiff patent owner in mechanical matter. Settled favorably shortly before trial.)
- Roto-Mix v. Sioux Automation Ctr., Inc., Civil Action No. 16-CV-4166-LRR (N.D. Iowa 2016) (First Chair attorney representing Plaintiff on multiple patent infringement suit. Settled favorably shortly after favorable Markman ruling.)
- Brandt v. Harvest Int’l, Civil Action No. 5:15-CV-4049 (N.D. Iowa 2014) (Co-First Chair attorney representing Defendant, Harvest Int’l, in a patent and trade dress infringement case; Case resolved by settlement after favorable Markman decision.)
- Unity Health Plans Ins. Co. v. Iowa Health System, d/b/a UnityPoint Health, Civil Action No 13- CV-845 (W.D. Wis. 2014) (Second Chair attorney in charge of experts representing Defendant, Iowa Health System, in trademark infringement case. Case resolved by favorable settlement shortly before )
- ESM Technologies, Inc. v. BiOva, LLC and Matthew Stegenga, Civil Action No. 6:10-cv-03009- RED (W.D. Mo. 2010) (First chair attorney representing Defendants in a patent infringement, breach of contract, trade secret misappropriation, unfair competition, tortious interference, unjust enrichment and civil conspiracy case. Case resolved by settlement.)
- Precision Automation, Inc. v. Tech. Servs., Civil Action No. 07-CV-707-AC (Dist. Oregon 2008) (First Chair attorney representing Defendant, Tech. Servs., in a multiple patent and trade secret case. Case resolved by favorable settlement shortly before trial.)
- 6,205,603 Front water injection for front loading washing machine
- 6,398,035 Maximizer for gravity separators
- 6,405,585 Portable flywheel test assembly
- 6,424,618 Code generating method and code selecting method
- 6,458,188 Method and means for air filtration
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Frequent presenter for National Business Institutes on Ethics issues
- Frequent presenter for Iowa Association of Corporate Counsel on IP issues
Honors & Education
- Certified Licensing Professional
- Drake University Law School, J.D.
- Iowa State University, B.S.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- U.S. District Court, Northern and Southern Districts of Iowa
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal, 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th Circuits
- The Best Lawyers in America, Trademark Law, 2020
- Iowa Intellectual Property Law Association
- Iowa State Bar Association
- Polk County Bar Association
- Legal Counsel and Board Member, Technology Association of Iowa
- Legal Aspects of Aeronautics & Astronautics Technical Committee, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- Chairman of the Board, Technology Association of Iowa, 2014-2015
- Chairman of the Board, Bergman Academy, 2015-present
- Coach, Merrill Middle School Mock Trial Team
- Instructor, Pre-Law: Introduction to Intellectual Property, Iowa State University