Aaron is a corporate attorney who leverages his global experience to help his clients solve multi-jurisdictional legal questions and close complex transactions around the world.
He focuses his practice on mergers and acquisitions, private equity, and international business transactions. Aaron brings experience as both in-house counsel and an outside advisor to listen to his clients’ concerns and work to develop efficient, practical solutions to legal matters domestically and internationally.
Aaron has litigated cross-border IP disputes, advised on U.S. commodity futures laws, and executed complicated multi-step corporate transactions over different time zones with dozens of legal entities. Having the benefit of a varied suite of experiences, he brings a holistic approach to legal issues and is well-versed in managing multiple stakeholders to bring a project to completion. Equally at home in the boardroom or the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, he enjoys listening to and working with businesspeople to understand their objectives and help find ways to accomplish them in the most straightforward way.
Prior to joining the firm, Aaron was responsible for international corporate governance affairs at UnitedHealth Group, where he worked with executive leadership to manage board and shareholder activity and advise on financing and restructuring transactions in Europe, South America and Asia-Pacific. Before that, he had practiced at DLA Piper LLP (US), focusing on global restructurings, M&A and general corporate transactions for Fortune 100 corporations.
Aaron and his partner live in South Minneapolis, and he spends much of his free time hiking, skiing, canoeing and otherwise exploring the outdoors.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented leading national middle market private equity funds in multiple add-on acquisitions.
- Advised on Fortune 5 healthcare company’s controlling acquisition of a Colombian hospital system.
- Advised on Fortune 5 healthcare company’s divestment of its joint venture interest in an India health insurer.
- Represented a U.S. coatings manufacturer in its proposed €55 million acquisition of French and Chinese operating entities.
- Represented Deere & Company in its acquisition of PLA S.A., an Argentinian manufacturer of agricultural products.
Global Restructurings and Financing
- Managed the capitalization of numerous Colombian, Chilean, and Brazilian operating entities through a UK holding structure for a Fortune 5 healthcare company.
- Advised a Fortune 5 healthcare company in major $10 billion debt consolidation project and entity rationalization through its European holding structure.
- Advised on major restructuring transaction involving the transfer of a listed debt instrument and associated liabilities with a total value in excess of $10 billion through European and Caribbean holding structures to optimize further acquisition financing.
- Managed and advised on $3 billion debt restructuring transaction within European and Caribbean holding structures.
- Advised on and coordinated quarterly cash management and dividend-planning to repatriate in excess of $1 billion to the U.S. per annum for a Fortune 5 healthcare company from 2018-2021.
- Represented Ecolab Inc. for its pre-acquisition financing and post-acquisition integration during its $800 million acquisition of Laboratoires Anios.
- Toro Company’s pre-acquisition financing for its acquisition of Regnerbau Calw GmbH.
Corporate Governance and Entity Management
- Managed, oversaw, and developed new processes to coordinate all aspects of corporate governance and compliance for the international subsidiaries of a Fortune 5 healthcare company, covering more than 100 entities in 20+ jurisdictions.
- Analyzed and developed framework for compliance with economic substance and ultimate beneficial ownership reporting in Barbados, India, Hong Kong, the Netherlands, and the UAE.
- Managed domestic legal entity rationalization project for Fortune 200 corporation involving coordinate dissolutions and mergers in 12 states.
International Commercial Transactions
- Advised US subsidiary of a Danish manufacturer of high-end audio equipment on their US distributor, reseller, and sales representative agreements.
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 2011, magna cum laude
- Luther College, B.A., 2008, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, 2013
Civic & Professional
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member, 2011-present
- MSBA International Business Law Section Council, Member, 2017-present
- LegalCORPS, Volunteer Attorney, 2014-present
- Election Protection, Volunteer Attorney, 2020-present