Anne specializes in trusts and estates litigation, focusing on disputes involving fiduciary powers and obligations, trust and estate interpretation and enforcement and related business matters.
Anne also handles business litigation for large companies and closely-held operations alike, including shareholder disputes, business torts, and contract disputes, among others. She combines tenacious litigation strategy with grounded, common sense problem solving to achieve great results for her clients.
Trust & Estate Litigation
- As counsel for the Estate of Prince Rogers Nelson:
- Team obtained TRO, preliminary injunction, and $4 million in contract damages following arbitration trial, stemming from attempted release of music
- Successfully achieved dismissal of various claims against Estate
- Defended and obtained dismissal of multiple contract, license, and business tort actions against Estate and related businesses
- Represented trust and estate beneficiaries seeking to invalidate parent’s estate plans on basis of undue influence and lack of capacity. Following trial, judge invalidated all challenged plans on both grounds.
- Petitioned on behalf of trust and estate beneficiary for trust accounting, and to invalidate parent’s will on the basis of lack of capacity. Following discovery disputes and spoliation motions, matter settled in client’s favor.
- Pre-suit representation of trust beneficiary to review accountings and establish potential breach of fiduciary duty claims. Brought petition resulting in installation of neutral trustee to manage out trust assets.
- Representation of caretakers and parents in contested guardianships and conservatorships.
Business & Fiduciary Litigation
- Defended minority shareholder’s breach of fiduciary duty and buyout claim on behalf of company. Successfully settled claims amidst acquisition negotiations.
- Represented corporation defending former CEO’s claims related to recovery of personal business loans and breach of installment land contract. Following bench trial, judge found in favor of client corporation on all claims
- Defended business tort action on behalf of major food retailer against competitor, obtaining early pre-discovery dismissal of suit.
- Won default judgment for data analysis company; Court awarded full damages on breach of contract and breach of warranty claims arising from failed software implementation.
- Brought multiple breach of lease and eviction actions on behalf of national housing business, each of which resulted in full payment on lease.
- Defended breach of contract and breach of duty of loyalty claims brought by client’s former employer, resulting in favorable pre-discovery settlement.
- Represented web-based marketing company responding to aggressive third party subpoena in negotiations with both parties to underlying suit.
- Prosecuted breach of contract action on behalf of homeowners on unperformed construction contract, resulting in full repayment of contract amount.
- Won motions in multiple contentious discovery disputes, including multiples sanctions awards, one of which resulted in an arrest warrant
- University of St. Thomas Law School, J.D., 2016, magna cum laude
- Providence College, B.A., 2009, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 2016
U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2016
- 2nd Circuit Court of Appeals, 2020
Civic & Professional
University of Minnesota Law School, Adjunct Professor, Law in Practice
University of St. Thomas Law School, Mentor
MoveFwd, Board Member
University of St. Thomas Law Journal, Articles Editor, 2015-2016
One Village Partners, Development Consultant, 2015-2016
Women’s Law Student Association, Vice President, 2014-2015
Children’s Law Center of Minnesota, Volunteer Attorney, 2018-present
Pro Se Project, Volunteer Attorney, 2017-present
Achieved dismissal of cable piracy suit on behalf of local restaurant
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Co-Author, Minnesota Estate Administration Deskbook, 2023
Co-Presenter, Estate Litigation, Minnesota CLE, 2022
Presenter, Soft Skills Development in New Lawyers, National Conference of Bar Examiners, December 2022
Co-Presenter, Estate Litigation, Estate Administration in Minnesota, Minnesota CLE, April 28, 2022
Co-Presenter, Probate A to Z: Estate Litigation and Appeals, Minnesota CLE, January 2022
Moderator, Women in Real Estate Summit, May 2021
“(Don’t) Do It for the Insta—Fair Use May Not Save Hashtags That Identify a Competitor’s Products,” FredNEWS: IP Litigation, May 2019
“Crossing the Line: When Does Infringement Become Counterfeiting?,” FredNEWS: Anti-Counterfeiting, November 2017
“District of Minnesota Adopts Local Rule 5.6—Instituting New Processes and Requirements for Civil Parties Filing Under Seal,” PatentWatch, December 2016