Carl assists private equity and strategic buyers and sellers with mergers and acquisitions and general corporate matters.
He has extensive experience representing private equity funds (and their portfolio companies) and strategic buyers and sellers in complex mergers and acquisitions (M&A) and other transactional activities.
Carl helps clients achieve their business objectives efficiently and effectively throughout all stages of M&A transactions. As an experienced team leader, Carl knows how to manage complex transactions from start to finish. Carl primarily advises private equity and strategic buyers on complex mergers and acquisitions and other transactional matters in a wide variety of industries, including life sciences, medical devices, aerospace, defense, software, distribution and manufacturing. Carl also regularly assists private equity funds in their portfolio company exits. Carl has completed transactions involving assets in North America, Europe, Asia, Australia, Africa and the Middle East.
Carl is also engaged in firm management, currently serving on the recruiting and hiring committee.
- Represents Audax (a leading national middle market PE fund) in add-on acquisitions and portfolio company exits.
- Represents Arcline (a San Francisco-based PE fund) and its portfolio companies in connection with both new portfolio company acquisitions and subsequent add-on acquisitions.
- Represented HelpSystems (a Harvest Partners, TA Associates, Charlesbank Capital Partners, and HGGC portfolio company) in its acquisition of Tripwire (a subsidiary of Belden (NYSE: BDC).
- Represented Securian Financial Group in its acquisition of Empyrean Benefits Solutions, Inc. (a portfolio company of FTV Capital and Claritus Capital).
- Represented Bright Health in its acquisition of Zipnosis.
- Represented Apogee (NASDAQ: APOG) in its acquisition of EFCO Corporation (a Pella business line).
- Represented Goldner Hawn (a Minneapolis-based PE fund) in its acquisition of Cyber Advisors.
- Represented leading medical device company in a $325 million strategic acquisition.
- Represented a private equity fund in the $1.4 billion exit of a distribution portfolio company to a private equity buyer.
- Represented a private equity backed, medical device company in numerous cross-border acquisitions.
- Represented a private equity backed, software company in numerous domestic and cross-border acquisitions and eventual sale to a private equity buyer for $470 million.
- Represented a public construction materials manufacturer in $195 million strategic acquisition.
- University of St. Thomas School of Law, J.D., 2015, cum laude
- St. Olaf College, B.A., 2012
- Minnesota, 2015
- Best Lawyers: Ones to Watch, Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2022-2024
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2017
- Mission Award for Scholarly Engagement and Societal Reform, University of St. Thomas School of Law, 2015
Civic & Professional
- Voyageurs Conservancy, Board Member
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Speaker, Best Practices for Start Ups: Using Basic Legal Documents, Fredrikson & Byron Start Up and Rapid Growth Enterprise (SURGE) Series, July 20, 2016
Co-Author, “Roadmap: The Law Student’s Guide to Preparing and Implementing a Successful Plan for Meaningful Employment,” ABA Press, 2015