Dan has 30 years of experience in the organization, governance, financing and operation of cooperatives and other business organizations, including work with complex organizations, mergers, acquisitions and other transactional matters.
Dan is a shareholder in Fredrikson’s Corporate Group and leads the firm’s Cooperatives Group. Dan works throughout the country with both large and small cooperatives and other types of businesses. He also advises clients on securities, tax and anti-trust issues that are unique to cooperatives and other member-owned organizations. Dan is a frequent speaker on structure and governance issues affecting cooperatives, including new cooperative strategies, joint ventures and the roles and responsibilities of corporate directors.
Dan is an experienced “general counsel” and assists his clients in achieving their business objectives in the context of the increasingly complex legal environment in which businesses operate today. He counsels his clients by providing practical, business oriented advice that can be utilized by clients to achieve their unique legal and business objectives.
Dan is the past Chair of the Legal, Tax and Accounting Committee of the National Council of Farmer Cooperatives and currently chairs the Subcommittee on Litigation Involving Cooperatives and Their Members. He is a director and past Chairperson of the United Hospital Foundation in St. Paul and currently serves as the Chair of Innovative Quality Schools, an authorizer of public charter schools.
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1986, magna cum laude
- Mankato State University, B.S., Political Science, 1982, summa cum laude
- Minnesota, 1986
- North Dakota, 1995
- Wisconsin, 2020
Civic & Professional
- National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, Chair, Subcommittee on Litigation Involving Cooperatives
- National Council of Farmer Cooperatives, Past Chair, Legal, Tax and Accounting Committee
- United Hospital Foundation, Director; Past Chair
- Innovative Quality Schools, Chair