John represents health care clients on a wide variety of transactional, regulatory, governance and contract matters.
John has substantial experience in health law as in-house counsel, as a regulator, and as outside counsel in private practice. John has worked on numerous joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions, asset, stock and membership purchases, commercial contracting projects, affiliations and other transactions representing buyers, sellers, vendors, members, shareholders and investors. John regularly provides advice regarding fraud and abuse, licensing, HIPAA, corporate practice of medicine, the Stark law, anti-kickback laws, privacy and security, tax-exemption, and other regulatory and compliance matters.
His clients include hospitals, physician groups, health systems, ambulatory surgery centers (ASCs), clinics, a variety of other health care professionals and licensed entities, vendors, management companies, insurers, managed care organizations, third party administrators, wellness service providers, disease management companies, medical device companies, private equity and venture capital firms, and health-related technology companies.
- Extensive experience representing sellers and buyers in mergers and acquisitions of physician practices, hospitals, health systems, service lines, and other health care companies.
- Represented a large health system in its multiple joint venture ambulatory surgery center (ASC) expansion with a national ASC management company.
- Advised a private equity-backed national wound care company on a variety of regulatory and transactional matters.
- Represented a large nonprofit health system in an asset sale of its DME service line to a national DME provider.
- Worked with numerous health systems in refining and implementing standardized commercial contract templates and business associate agreements.
- Represented several hospitals and health systems in mergers or membership acquisitions with other large health system.
- Represented a nonprofit health system in service line ventures with private equity-backed companies.
- Represented the sole member of five large foundations in a series of mergers and consolidations into a single foundation.
- Represented a nonprofit health system in its acquisition of a large physician practice specializing in cardiovascular care.
- Advised numerous nonprofit tax-exempt organizations on start-up and governance matters.
- Represented a 23-physician cardiovascular practice group in an acquisition by a hospital system.
- Advised health care systems and physician groups on payor contract negotiations and contract disputes.
- Represented a national managed care company in its joint venture activities with a nonprofit PHO.
- Advised covered entities and business associates on a variety of HIPAA and state privacy and security issues.
- Counseled a hospital system in the settlement of a qui tam action involving alleged violations of the Stark law.
- Represented several health care entities in implementing compliance programs, including drafting and refining policies, standards, code of conduct and procedures, and providing compliance training to employees.
- Represented a hospital system in the acquisition of a 90-physician multi-specialty group.
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2000, magna cum laude
- University of Minnesota, B.S., 1987
- Minnesota, 2000
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2015-2016
- Rising Star, Minnesota Law & Politics, 2008-2010
- Up & Coming Attorney, Minnesota Lawyer, 2007
Civic & Professional
- Humphrey Institute, Policy Fellow, 2009-2010
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- North American Traditional Indigenous Food Systems (NATIFS), Board Member, 2018-present
- The Warming House, Board Member, 2015-present