Katie works in the Fargo office and is a Shareholder in the Trusts & Estates Group. She works closely with individuals and families to develop a uniquely tailored estate plan that provides for an orderly succession of family assets.
Katie's practice focuses on estate planning, income and transfer tax minimization, and the preparation of wills, trusts (both revocable and irrevocable), powers of attorney and health care directives. Her practice also includes real estate work and business entity formation/restructuring as they relate to estate planning. In addition, Katie guides families, trustees and personal representatives through post-death probate and trust administration. Licensed in Florida as well as North Dakota and Minnesota, she is uniquely suited to handle her clients' multi-state needs.
- Wills, trusts, powers of attorney and health care directives.
- Preparation and negotiation of premarital/antenuptial and postmarital/postnuptial agreements.
- Assisting fiduciaries (trustees, personal representatives, executors) with estate and trust administration.
- Florida homestead and estate planning for Florida residents and snowbirds.
- Legal advice to families after the death of a loved one.
- Farm and ranch succession planning.
- Family business succession planning, restructuring, sales, and gifts with an emphasis on asset protection and transfer tax minimization.
- Preparation of gift tax returns and estate tax returns.
- Formation of North Dakota, Minnesota, and Florida companies to own and manage mineral interests, farmland, sugarbeet shares, vacation property or investment real estate.
- Estate planning with creditor and divorce protection, probate avoidance, and estate tax and GST tax minimization.
- Charitable planning, including private foundations, charitable remainder trusts (CRTs), charitable lead trusts (CLTs) and donor advised funds.
- University of St. Thomas School of Law, J.D., St. Paul, Minnesota, 2011, cum laude
- Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota, B.A., 2004, cum laude
- North Dakota, 2012
- Minnesota, 2012
- Florida, 2011
- Clerk, Honorable John H. Scherer, Seventh Judicial District, St. Cloud, Minnesota, 2012
- Clerk, Honorable Frederick L. Grunke, Seventh Judicial District, St. Cloud, Minnesota, 2012
- Justice for All Lawyer, State Bar Association of North Dakota, 2017-2018
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2014-2015, 2017, 2019-2020
Civic & Professional
- State Bar Association of North Dakota
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- The Florida Bar
- Red River Valley Estate Planning Council
- Cass County Bar Association
- Clay County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Minnesota Assistance Council - Veterans, Pro Bono Attorney, 2013-present
- University of St. Thomas Law Journal, Articles Editor, 2010-2011; Associate Editor, 2009-2010
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
“SECURE Act: How The New Law Impacts IRAs And Retirement Plans of Business Owners and Other Professionals,” FARGO INC!, April 2020
Presenter, “Estate Planning Update and Best Practices,” State Bar Association of North Dakota, 2018 Real Property, Probate & Trust Section Seminar, December 6-7, 2018
“Estate Planning in Uncertain Times,” Fargo INC!, October 2018
Quoted in “To Fix a Broken System,” High Plains Reader, August 13, 2018
Speaker, “The Probate Process from Start to Finish,” National Business Institute, June 2016, June 2018
Speaker, “Best Practices in Trusts and Estates Law,” State Bar Association of North Dakota and Young Lawyers Section, October 2016
Featured, “The Women of Fredrikson & Byron Law Firm,”Area Woman, June 2016