Mark is an experienced tax lawyer who provides creative, smart and practical solutions to achieve client objectives in mergers and acquisitions and other transactions.
Mark regularly represents private equity funds in connection with their M&A transactions. In addition, Mark also represents public companies, closely-held businesses and management in mergers and acquisitions, reorganizations, joint ventures, financings, entity formations and other transactions. Mark advises clients across a broad range of industries, including manufacturing, distribution, services, food products, consumer goods, technology, life sciences and healthcare.
Prior to joining the firm, Mark served as international tax counsel for a Fortune 500 company.
- Represented a U.S. pharmaceutical company in a sale to a foreign buyer for $1.05 billion.
- Represented a provider of clinical trial software in connection with a $40 million minority investment from a private equity fund.
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition of an executive search firm and related ad-on acquisitions.
- Represented management in a sale of a financial services firm to a leading global private equity fund.
- Represented a consulting firm in a sale to a portfolio company of a global private investment firm.
- Represented a privately-owned bank in a tax-deferred merger transaction under Section 368(a) of the Code.
- Represented a privately-owned bank on a sale of its subsidiary to a public company for over $425 million.
- Represented a U.S. public company on a sale of a water services business to a foreign buyer for $270 million.
- Represented management in a sale of a manufacturing business to KKR.
- Represented a U.S. pharmaceutical company in a sale of intellectual property to a foreign buyer for over $250 million.
- Represented a manufacturer of outdoor lifestyle products in an acquisition from a private equity fund for $500 million.
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition of a manufacturer and distributer of consumer healthcare products and related ad-on acquisitions.
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition of a leading provider of business technology solutions from an ESOP.
- Represented a private equity fund in connection with the acquisition of dental practices and a subsequent exit transition.
- Advised on the tax aspects of a sale of a multinational consumer electronics business in a transaction governed by Section 363 of the Bankruptcy Code.
- Represented a private equity fund in an acquisition and subsequent sale of a leading sport protection company.
- Represented a snack food company in a sale to a private equity fund.
- Represented a private equity fund in a sale of an environmental consulting firm to a foreign buyer.
- Represented a private equity fund in a sale of a supplier of safety, surface preparation and environmental products.
- Represented a private equity fund in a sale of a manufacturer and distributor of strip doors, air doors and related products.
- Represented a private equity fund in a sale of a manufacturer of amphibious all-terrain utility vehicles.
- Represented a leading industrial/commercial water treatment company in a sale to a private equity fund.
- Represented an Italian private equity fund in acquisitions of U.S.-based audio equipment companies.
- University of Florida College of Law, LL.M., 1995
- Hamline University School of Law (now Mitchell Hamline School of Law), J.D., 1994
- Princeton University, A.B., 1991
- Minnesota, 1994
- Rising Star, Minnesota Super Lawyers, 2008
Civic & Professional
- American Bar Association, Tax Section, Member
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Co-Presenter, "Looking to Sell? Pre-Sale Considerations and Strategies to Avoid State Tax Pitfalls," Fredrikson & Byron Webinar, October 8, 2020
Speaker, “The Tax Act and its Impact on Growth”, ACG Monthly Luncheon, March 19, 2019
Speaker, “M&A: Updates & Key Trends in 2018”, Business Law Institute, May 7, 2018
Speaker, “Alternative Equity Structures,” Multifamily Finance Summit, September 2017
“New Guidance Issued on Treating Partners as Employees,” June 8, 2016
“Federal Budget Suspends Medical Device Tax and Makes Permanent Research and Development Credit,” January 11, 2016
“Dramatic Changes to Partnership Audit Rules Will Require Advance Planning and Changes to Partnership Documents,” December 8, 2015
Speaker, “Middle Market Mergers & Acquisitions Webcast,” October 7, 2013