Michael has closed hundreds of transactions and has provided practical outside general counsel advise to many businesses. Michael regularly provides clients with strategic corporate counsel on mergers & acquisitions, business structuring and governance issues, corporate finance through private equity offerings, and private company succession planning and disputes.
Michael often provides outside general counsel services to clients, addressing their full range of legal needs through collaboration with other firm attorneys, in key areas including SEC compliance, employment, benefits, patent/trademark, government relations and litigation matters.
Michael is a skilled M&A lawyer who has led many multi-million dollar transactions in a variety of industries including manufacturing, telecommunications, agribusiness, energy and professional services, representing both buyers and sellers of public and private companies, including several private equity funds. He also works with clients on financing matters and negotiates acquisition, construction and permanent loan financing for many transactions. Michael also assists banks, regional and national developers, and retailers with commercial real estate sale, purchase and development transactions.
- Family & Closely Held Businesses
- Mergers & Acquisitions
- Real Estate & Construction
- Business & Tax Planning
- Private Equity
- Corporate Governance
- Bank & Finance
- Food & Agribusiness
- Sports & Entertainment
- Commercial Law
- Start Up & Rapid Growth Enterprises (SURGE)
- Venture Capital & Angel Financing
- Finance & Securities
- Lead counsel to clients in more than $600 million worth of recent transactions across the U.S.
- Advised clients as outside general counsel in a wide variety of industries, including manufacturing, construction, telecommunications, agribusiness, real estate, banking and professional services companies.
- M&A deals for private equity, strategic buy-side and sell-side deals, and ESOP deals.
- Assisted clients with advice and counsel for establishing, purchasing and operating Minnesota wineries.
- Counseled companies with supply and sale agreements to reduce risk and cost and maximize revenue.
- Counseled clients on the purchase and sale of companies via stock, asset, merger and ESOP transactions.
- Advised agribusiness clients on development, purchase, sale and succession transactions.
- Counseled clients in the acquisition, finance, investment in, development and sale of hundreds of real estate projects.
- Assisted banks, regional and national developers, and retailers with commercial real estate lease, finance, sale, purchase and development transactions.
- Regularly represents strategic parties in minority investment, acquisition, exit, and divestiture transactions.
- Ethanol plant experience: on behalf of a renewable plant contractor, transactions include ethanol plant equity raises, construction matters and governance issues.
- University of St. Thomas, M.B.A., 2002
- Hamline University School of Law, J.D., 1998, magna cum laude
- Gustavus Adolphus College, B.A., 1995
- Greater Mankato’s Young Professional of the Year for exemplary professional and community contributions
Civic & Professional
- Minnesota Chamber of Commerce, Leadership Minnesota Alumni
- Greater Mankato Growth, Public Policy Committee
- South Central College Foundation, Former Board of Directors
- Junior Achievement, Mankato, Former Board of Directors
- Mankato Area Foundation, Investment Committee, Former Chair; Former Board of Directors
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Panelist, Continued Distress in the Ag Sector: Time to Reassess Options, October 1, 2019