Nathan guides clients through complex business disputes and government investigations through strategic counsel and tenacious advocacy.
Nate maintains a broad litigation practice but concentrates on complex business disputes, white collar criminal and regulatory defense, and internal investigations. He has experience in representing clients confronting multifaceted government investigations and parallel litigation, minority/majority shareholder disputes, internal corporate investigations and conflicts between business competitors. Specific areas of Nate’s practice include cases involving allegations of fraud, breach of contract, business torts and breach of fiduciary duty.
Before joining Fredrikson, Nate was an associate at a boutique litigation firm specializing in the litigation of complex civil and white-collar criminal cases. Before that, Nate clerked for the Honorable Stephanie M. Rose, District Judge for the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa and for the Honorable John D. Telleen, District Judge for the Iowa Business Specialty Court—a trial court presiding over for business, commercial and fiduciary disputes.
- Drafted successful pre-answer motion obtaining partial dismissal of lawsuit brought by former shareholder alleging fraud in prior settlement agreement.
- Drafted motion for partial summary judgment for client seeking antitrust coverage under directors and officers liability insurance policy.
- Served as litigation counsel in representing minority shareholders in buyout of family-owned business.
White Collar & Regulatory Defense
- Represented non-profit in criminal investigation and regulatory proceedings concerning allegations of Covid-19 federal programming fraud.
- Investigated allegations of bank fraud, false bank entries, and false statements to regulators on behalf of client facing parallel civil litigation, regulatory proceedings and a criminal investigation.
- Represented insurance company executive in internal investigation employment dispute.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2017, with distinction
- Luther College, B.A., 2014, magna cum laude
- Iowa, 2017
- Minnesota, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2022
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2021
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2021
- Clerk, Honorable Stephanie M. Rose, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa
- Clerk, Honorable John D. Telleen, Iowa Business Specialty Court—a trial court presiding over for business, commercial and fiduciary disputes
- Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence in Administrative Law, 2017
- 7th Place Regional Advocate, Jessup Int’l Moot Court Competition, 2017
- Top Advocate and Best Oral Advocate, Appellate Advocacy II (Int’l Law), 2016
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2014
Civic & Professional
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Criminal Justice Section, White Collar Crime Division, Member
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Author, "University Trademarks and “Mixed Speech” on College Campuses: A Case Study of Gerlich v. Leath and Student Free Speech Rights," 28 Fordham Intellectual Property, Media & Entertainment Law Journal 777, 2018
Presenter, Twitter and the New Bully Pulpit, November Meeting of the Iowa Dillon Inn of Court, November 2017