Anu is a zealous advocate for her clients, providing proactive, effective solutions for their business litigation, regulatory defense, and healthcare litigation needs.
Drawing on her significant trial experience, project management skills, and industry knowledge, Anu provides proactive, efficient and practical solutions through all aspects of litigation and internal investigations.
Anu has deep experience handling complex commercial litigation in state and federal courts and in arbitration. She represents clients in the manufacturing and other industries on breach of contract and UCC Article 2 breach of warranty claims, and has litigated multiple trade-secret and non-compete disputes to successful resolution. Anu also has a wide range of general commercial litigation experience, from shareholder litigation and business torts like fraud, defamation and false advertising claims, to class action defense.
In addition, Anu has significant experience supporting individuals and organizations in the healthcare and medical fields. She has advised and defended providers in medical malpractice and professional licensing matters, compliance investigations, and privacy and data security events. Anu also represents clients in the device and med-tech industries in products liability litigation, regulatory matters, and compliance investigations.
Anu’s litigation practice is complemented by her experience conducting sensitive internal investigations for small and large clients in Minnesota and around the world. Anu works closely with clients to evaluate risk, assess the facts, and respond strategically to internal complaints and government inquiries involving allegations of fraud, corruption, employee misconduct, and regulatory or compliance violations, among other things.
In all aspects of her practice, Anu brings a unique combination of private practice, government, and in-house legal experience. As a former Assistant Hennepin County Attorney, Anu represented the County’s healthcare entities, including its public hospital and healthcare system, in litigation and internal investigations. She also spent time in the in-house legal department of a large med-tech company, working on litigation and investigation matters, and served as a judicial law clerk to the Honorable Michael J. Davis in the United States District Court for the District of Minnesota. Anu draws on this breadth of experience to understand and achieve her clients’ interests in all aspects of dispute resolution.
UCC Article 2 Litigation, Trade Secrets and Non-Compete Litigation
- Received six-figure jury verdict on behalf of employer suing former employee for theft of trade secrets and breach of the employee’s duty of loyalty.
- Obtained summary judgment for employee sued by former employer for alleged theft of trade secrets and breach of a covenant not to compete, resulting in settlement of claims in our client’s favor.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in defense of claims alleging breach of non-solicitation agreement and misappropriation of trade secrets arising out of a distributorship relationship.
- Part of a litigation team that obtained a multi-million dollar arbitration award against a foreign manufacturer for breach of warranty and trade secret claims.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of breach of warranty/contract claims against food manufacturer based on sale of allegedly contaminated product.
- Represented and advised several local healthcare organizations and privacy officers on disputes involving HIPAA and the Minnesota Health Records Act.
- Represented providers in matters involving medical malpractice and professional licensing.
- Represented medical-device companies in products liability claims alleging defective design and manufacturing.
- Obtained dismissal of claims against nonprofit community healthcare clinic brought by Medicaid patient regarding notice of asset recovery, affirmed by the Minnesota Court of Appeals.
- Participated in investigations regarding compliance with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in the context of business acquisitions.
- Conducted internal investigations regarding data privacy, billing, compliance and other regulatory matters for clients in the healthcare and device industry.
- Represented clients in investigations regarding internal employee grievances and allegations of employee misconduct.
Other Business Litigation
- Represented and advised clients regarding Lanham Act (false advertising) claims involving competitors.
- Part of a litigation team that successfully represented siblings in a family dispute regarding management and division of several family-owned business, culminating in a multi-day arbitration that found in favor of our clients on their substantive claims, dismissed all of the claims brought against our clients, and awarded money damages in our clients’ favor.
- Successfully removed putative class action to federal court under the Class Action Fairness Act and obtained dismissal of claims brought against insurance company.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Author, “The Secrets of Trade Secrets: Protecting Your Company’s Trade Secrets and Protecting Your Company Against Trade-Secret Claims,” co-authored with Ingrid Culp, Timothy O’Shea and Jeffrey Post, March 2015
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2012, magna cum laude
- Macalester College, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2016
- Minnesota Lawyer, “Attorney of the Year,” Group Recognition, 2019
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2012-2015
- Order of the Coif
- Law and Inequality: A Journal of Theory and Practice, Lead Student Article Editor, 2011-2012; staff member, 2010-2011
- Student Director, University of Minnesota Law School Civil Practice Clinic, 2011-2012
- Assistant Hennepin County Attorney, Civil Division (January 2018-February 2019)
- Judicial Clerk, Judge Michael J. Davis, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota (2014-2015)
- Adjunct Professor, University of Minnesota Law School, Law and Practice (2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019)
- AmericCorps*VISTA Member (2007-2008)