Anu is a determined advocate for her clients, providing proactive, effective strategies for their healthcare and business litigation needs.
Seeking her broad and insightful experience, clients turn to Anu for efficient resolution and practical advice on their most sensitive and complex business and healthcare litigation needs.
Anu’s practice is focused on supporting clients in the healthcare industry. For hospital systems and providers, she advises and defends medical malpractice, professional licensing, and privacy matters. Anu also represents medical device companies in commercial disputes, products liability litigation and compliance investigations. Drawing on this array of experience, she brings a cross-sectional perspective and unique insight to each individual matter.
Beyond this focus, clients in healthcare, manufacturing and other industries have also sought Anu’s experience handling complex commercial litigation. Anu has a wide range of general commercial litigation experience in state and federal courts across the country and in arbitrations. She regularly represents clients in breach of contract, Article 2 UCC, shareholder and business tort disputes, and she has litigated multiple trade-secret and non-compete matters to successful resolution.
Anu’s litigation practice is further complemented by her work on sensitive internal investigations. She works with clients to assess the facts, evaluate risk and respond strategically to internal complaints or government inquiries involving allegations such as fraud, corruption, employee misconduct and regulatory violations in the healthcare and other industries.
In all aspects of her practice, Anu brings a diverse perspective earned by experiences in private practice, government and in-house. In addition to her experiences at Fredrikson, Anu served as an Assistant Hennepin County Attorney, representing the County’s public hospital and other healthcare entities, was seconded to the in-house litigation department of a large med-tech company and clerked for the Honorable Michael J. Davis in the U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota.
- Represent doctors, nurses, and health systems in a variety of medical malpractice matters.
- Represent and advise health systems and privacy professionals about HIPAA and claims under the Minnesota Health Records Act.
- Represent medical-device companies in products liability claims alleging defective design and manufacturing.
- Represent healthcare providers in professional licensing disputes and regulatory proceedings.
Trade Secrets, Non-Compete and UCC Article 2 Litigation
- Obtained seven-figure jury verdict on behalf of employer suing former employee for theft of trade secrets and breach of the former employee’s duty of loyalty.
- Granted summary judgment on behalf of employee sued by former employer for alleged theft of trade secrets and breach of a covenant not to compete, resulting in settlement of claims in our client’s favor.
- Prevailed on summary judgment in defense of claims alleging breach of non-solicitation agreement and misappropriation of trade secrets arising out of a distributorship relationship.
- Part of a litigation team that obtained a multi-million dollar arbitration award against a foreign manufacturer for breach of warranty and trade secret claims.
- Obtained summary judgment and dismissal of breach of warranty/contract claims against food manufacturer based on sale of allegedly contaminated product.
- Conducted internal investigations regarding data privacy, billing, compliance and other regulatory matters for clients in the healthcare and device industries.
- Participated in investigations involving compliance with Foreign Corrupt Practices Act in the context of business acquisitions.
- Represented clients in investigations into internal employee grievances and allegations of employee misconduct.
Other Business Litigation
- Represented and advised clients regarding Lanham Act (false advertising) claims involving competitors.
- Part of a litigation team that successfully represented siblings in a family dispute regarding management and division of several family-owned business, culminating in a multi-day arbitration that found in favor of our clients on their substantive claims, dismissed all of the claims brought against our clients, and awarded money damages in our clients’ favor.
- Successfully removed putative class action to federal court under the Class Action Fairness Act and obtained dismissal of claims brought against insurance company.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Co-Author, “The Secrets of Trade Secrets: Protecting Your Company’s Trade Secrets and Protecting Your Company Against Trade-Secret Claims,” co-authored with Ingrid Culp, Timothy O’Shea and Jeffrey Post, March 2015
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 2012, magna cum laude
- Macalester College, B.A., 2007, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2012
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2016
- Best Lawyers®: Ones to Watch in America, Commercial Litigation, 2021
- Minnesota Lawyer, “Attorney of the Year,” Group Recognition, 2019
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2012-2015
- Order of the Coif
- Law and Inequality: A Journal of Theory and Practice, Lead Student Article Editor, 2011-2012
- Adjunct Professor, University of Minnesota Law School, Law and Practice, 2016-2017, 2017-2018, 2018-2019, 2019-2020
- Assistant Hennepin County Attorney, Civil Division, January 2018-February 2019
- Judicial Clerk, Judge Michael J. Davis, U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2014-2015
- AmericCorps*VISTA Member, 2007-2008