Chris is an experienced energy attorney with expertise in utilities regulation, acquisition, transactional and contractual matters.
In addition to supporting clients in private practice, Chris brings over fifteen years of state and county agency experience in general counsel and regulatory roles, including serving as general counsel and assistant director for a regulated utility. His knowledge of the interplay of law and business opportunities, and the regulatory environment, helps clients navigate policy, manage risk and seize opportunities in a variety of energy transactions, including decarbonization initiatives.
Chris also has experience assisting start-up companies, having served as both external and internal general counsel for agricultural and technology companies. He has represented venture capital funds investing in start-ups. His insight into what is really important to businesses helps deliver tailored, quality support to accomplish objectives.
Energy & Natural Resources
- Managed financing and legal issues for regulated utilities’ $300 million capital improvement plan.
- Negotiated commercial contracts for utility and power services.
- Regulatory lead for state agency regarding over 2,000MW of wind and solar proposals, over $2.5 billion in transmission projects, rate and acquisition issues, and various other matters.
- As General Counsel, created forms and regularly negotiated EPC and other construction-related agreements.
- Negotiated interconnection, load shifting and black start agreements.
- Represented utility in Greenhouse Gas Reduction Fund program.
- Managed and oversaw negotiation, issuance and renewal of federal natural resources permits.
Corporate Counsel & Finance Experience
- Represented multiple start ups from formation through rapid growth stages to exit events.
- Counsel to investment banks in secured lending and multi-tranche bond issuances.
- Represented venture capital funds in investments from Series A to Series E and exit events.
- Counsel to Fortune 100 company in acquisition of both public and private entities.
- Advised management group in an employee-led going-private corporate acquisition.
- New York University School of Law, J.D., 1999
- Willamette University, B.S., 1996, cum laude
- Iowa, 2022
- Oregon, 2004
Civic & Professional
- Iowa Utilities Board, Utility Attorney, 2021-2023
- Clackamas Water Environment Services, General Counsel, Assistant Director, Clackamas County, Oregon, 2006-2021
- Journal of Legislation and Public Policy, Staff Editor, New York University School of Law, 1999
- Oregon Association of Clean Water Agencies, Board Member, Committee Chair, 2019-2021
- Pacific Northwest Clean Water Association Government Affairs, Policy Committee, 2018-2021
- Oregon City Business Alliance, Board Member, Treasurer, Vice-President, 2017-2021
- National Association of Clean Water Agencies Working Group with EPA on Peak Wet Weather Issues, 2019
- Oregon City Public Schools, Board Member, 2009-2019; Chair 2014-2016
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
- Presenter, “Optimizing Utility Connection Charges to Remove Barriers to Affordable Housing”, Pacific Northwest Clean Water Association Annual Conference, September 2021
- Presenter, ”Utility Mergers and Outstanding Debt”, Government Finance Officers of America Annual Conference, January 2019
- Author, “Small Public Firms Yearn for Lost Privacy,” Oregon Business Journal, 2005