Laurie assists and advises health care providers and third-party payors with network contracting and other provider/health plan and managed care contracting and compliance matters.
She assists clients with participation agreements for commercial, Medicare Advantage, state health care programs (including Medicaid) and TRICARE health benefit plans; provider reimbursement, shared savings and other incentive programs; federal and state regulatory compliance; and provider-payer disputes. Laurie also advises health care professionals, providers and other businesses on health care laws that affect day-to-day operations, such as those governing data privacy (state law and HIPAA), fraud and abuse, physician contracting, licensure, and participation in state and federal health care programs.
Laurie frequently works with in-house counsel and has spent significant stretches of her career covering leaves-of-absence or other vacancies on a “secondment” basis within in-house legal departments. Through these opportunities, she is able to develop a deep appreciation of her client’s business objectives, understand the in-house lawyer’s needs, and collaborate as an integral part of a team. Her first-hand knowledge of the challenges faced by inside counsel makes her an asset to all of her in-house clients. Laurie sees each client relationship as an opportunity to learn how best to address the needs of that particular client.
Laurie’s other interests include live music, gardening, zero-waste initiatives and singing in a mostly-lawyer rock band.
- Advice and drafting assistance for negotiation of updated facility and medical group provider participation agreements with local payer.
- Legal support for negotiation of network participation agreement and related agreements between multi-state hospital system and payer.
- Assistance with Exchange related questions on requirements for contracting with and reimbursing ECPs, including IHS and American Indian health care providers.
- Review of MSSP ACO Participant materials.
- Regulatory assistance relating to TRICARE network contracting.
- Assistance with commercial and Medicare Advantage shared savings program and incentive program development.
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1998, magna cum laude
- Princeton University, A.B., Philosophy, 1989, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 1998
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2017
- Order of the Coif, Member
Civic & Professional
- Fredrikson & Byron, P.A., Foundation Board of Directors, Member
- American Health Lawyers Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- Minnesota Law Review, Note & Comment/Research Editor, 1997-1998; Staff Member, 1996-1997
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
ACOs and Commercial Payers (this is not about the MSSP), Fredrikson & Byron Health Law Webinar Series, October 8, 2014
Direct Pay Practice Arrangements, Fredrikson & Byron Health Health Law Webinar Series, January 8, 2014