Melissa assists businesses with their employment-related litigation and compliance matters.
Melissa partners with clients as they navigate a variety of employment and labor matters, ranging from administrative agency proceedings and litigation to routine policy and workplace issues.
Melissa advocates for clients who are responding to complaints of retaliation, discrimination, or harassment filed with civil rights agencies like the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Minnesota Department of Human Rights, and Wisconsin Equal Rights Division. She also represents employers before state and federal courts in litigation ranging from single-plaintiff employment disputes to complex trade secret and non-competition litigation.
Melissa’s civil rights agency and litigation experience informs the guidance she gives to clients. She works with clients to draft necessary policies and agreements, including employee handbooks, letters to current and former employees, non-competition and confidentiality agreements, and contracts for employees and independent contractors. Melissa also counsels clients as to their day-to-day workplace concerns. Melissa specializes in assisting clients who are federal and state contractors with their affirmative action and civil rights obligations.
Prior to joining Fredrikson, Melissa served as a law clerk to the Honorable David L. Lillehaug and the Honorable Anne K. McKeig of the Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Washington University School of Law, J.D., 2019, cum laude
- University of Minnesota, Duluth, B.A., 2013, cum laude
- Minnesota, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 2022
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Minnesota, 2022
- Law Clerk, Honorable David L. Lillehaug, Minnesota Supreme Court, 2019-2020
- Law Clerk, Honorable Anne K. McKeig, Minnesota Supreme Court, 2019-2020
- Judicial Extern, Honorable Nancy J. Rosenstengel, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Illinois, 2018
- Legal Intern, St. Louis County Attorney’s Office, 2017
- North Star Lawyer, Minnesota State Bar Association, 2020-2021
Civic & Professional
- Washington University Law Review, Articles Editor, 2018-2019
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Co-Presenter, The 10 Rules of Termination Decisions, Fredrikson & Byron’s Annual Employment & Labor Law Seminar, October 28, 2021
Co-Author with Erin Edgerton and Penny Oleson, “Can We Do That?: Answering Questions About Protecting Employee Privacy During a Pandemic,” Hennepin Lawyer, November/December 2020