Mercedes specializes in debt finance transactions and advises clients on compliance matters under financing and corporate governance documents.
Mercedes has represented corporate borrowers, private equity groups and financial institutions in connection with secured and unsecured commercial lending transactions, including acquisition financings, senior, second-lien and mezzanine financings, secured bond offerings, debt restructurings and debtor-in-possession financings.
Mercedes is a shareholder in Fredrikson’s Private Equity Group. Prior to joining the firm, she was a partner with Kirkland & Ellis LLP, an AmLaw 50 law firm, in Chicago.
- Represented a private equity group in connection with $1,700,000,000 senior secured asset-based and term loan facilities for acquisition of a national department store retailer.
- Represented a national department store retailer in connection with the amendment and restatement of its existing senior secured revolving credit facility.
- Represented a private equity group in connection with $975,000,000 senior secured first-lien credit facilities and a $260,700,000 secured second-lien term loan facility for acquisition of a paper manufacturing company.
- Represented a private equity group in connection with $650,000,000 senior secured first-lien credit facilities, $225,000,000 secured second-lien credit facilities and $75,000,000 unsecured facilities for acquisition of a consolidated group of companies leading the craft industry.
- Represented a global communications company in connection with refinancing of existing facility to provide $400,000,000 senior secured credit facilities and subsequent amendment and restatement of credit facilities to provide additional acquisition financing.
- Represented a global commercial vehicle systems provider in connection with $47,500,000 secured revolving credit facility and $16,800,000 second-lien secured term loan facility.
- Represented a tier-1 automotive supply company in connection with $115,000,000 senior secured revolving debtor-in-possession credit facilities and $170,000,000 senior secured term loan debtor-in-possession facilities and its subsequent successful plan of reorganization and exit financing, including $110,000,000 senior secured revolving credit facility and $83,750,000 second-lien secured term loan credit facility.
- Represented a Fortune 500 power company and hundreds of its domestic subsidiaries in connection with $2,000,000,000 revolving and term loan debtor-in-possession credit facilities.
- Represented a big box electronics superstore in connection with $1,100,000,000 senior secured, super-priority debtor-in-possession credit facilities.
- Represented a satellite communications company in connection with $25,000,000 senior secured debtor-in-possession term loan facility and subsequent refinancings to second-lien secured debtor-in-possession term loan facility and $87,500,000 third-lien secured super-priority debtor-in-possession term loan facility.
- Represented a radio company in connection with $386,000,000 senior secured term loan facility and $25,000,000 senior secured super-priority revolving credit facility.
- Represented a joint owner in television programming entity in connection with issuance of $119,000,000 senior secured notes.
- Represented an international corporate relocation company in connection with $150,000,000 senior secured term loan facility and $50,000,000 senior secured revolving credit facility.
- Yale Law School, J.D., 2005
- The Ohio State University, B.A., 2002, magna cum laude
- Minnesota, 2014
- Illinois, 2005
- 40 Under 40 Honoree, Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal, 2020
- Phi Beta Kappa
Civic & Professional
- American Bar Association
- Leadership Council on Legal Diversity (LCLD), Fellow, 2017
- EMERGE Community Development Board of Directors, Chair, 2020-2022
- Minnesota Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Organization
- Step-Up Women’s Network, Past Luminary Circle Member
- Loyola ChildLaw Center, Public Interest Initiative Fellow, 2005
- Jerome N. Frank Legal Services Organization, Clinic Director for Advocacy for Children and Youth Clinic
- Yale Journal of International Law, Editor
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Featured, "Black Leaders: Mercedes McFarland Jackson, Fredrikson & Byron," Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal, January 30, 2023
Featured Panelist, “Women's Leadership Council: How to Engage a Hybrid Workforce,” Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal, November 5, 2021