Nicci represents utilities, independent power producers, and transmission companies with energy and utilities litigation throughout the Midwest before state and federal courts and before administrative agencies. She works collaboratively with clients to obtain necessary permits for large infrastructure projects and to resolve disputes relating to local land use issues, tariffs and property rights.
Nicci previously worked as a litigation attorney practicing in professional liability, insurance defense, contract defect and in regulated industries including higher education and nursing home/long-term care litigation. She has experience with interest-based negotiations, taking and defending depositions, resolving matters through mediation and/or arbitration, dispositive motion practice and defending clients at trial.
Nicci’s extensive experience in litigation allows her to offer professional assistance resolving disputes in various capacities related to energy and further assisting clients define and achieve their strategic goals before state public utilities commissions and other regulators. She currently works in teams that guide clients through complex regulatory and permitting processes needed to construct and operate large energy, transmission and pipeline projects including litigation where necessary to promote energy projects.
In addition, Nicci is an active member of the Iowa Air National Guard, holding a Top Secret/Secret Compartmentalized Information security clearance as an all-source intelligence analyst, a role in which she analyzes complex technical systems, including energy-related systems. After extensive research, she prepares and presents intelligence presentations to various leadership levels on her findings and assessments. Prior to her current position, Nicci was a geo-spatial intelligence analyst for 10 years. As a geo-spatial intelligence analyst, she gained extensive experience working with multi-sensor imagery and geospatial data to analyze terrain, surface transportation networks, structures, communication networks and other various equipment to conduct comparative analysis and determine functionality. Her Air Force-infused technical background provides Fredrikson’s energy regulatory team a unique perspective and diversifies the team’s legal strategy.
- Represented landowner in obtaining defense directed verdict in real estate contract dispute brought by leasing business.
- Obtained summary judgment in Title IX claim against a school district.
- Successfully argued before Iowa District Court on writ of certiorari and obtained affirmation of Board of Adjustment’s decision for special use permit.
- Defeated veil-piercing claims under Iowa law.
- Successfully garnished a $900,000 judgment in foreign state.
- Secured several defense verdicts in personal injury claims, nuisance claims and underinsured motorist claims.
- Obtained several motions for summary judgment specific to city/county ordinances, personal injury claims and defamation claims.
- Secured numerous dismissals in Iowa Civil Rights Commission complaints, defending clients in allegations of disability and sex discrimination.
- Actively involved in a multi-district litigation (MDL) related to an artificial hip product defect case.
- Represented city as its counsel; key advisor during 2020 Covid pandemic.
- Advisor to landlord on legal actions and evictions.
- Outside counsel to credit union for purposes of collection, garnishment and levying bank accounts.
- Represented clients in bankruptcy 341(a) hearings and meetings with the U.S. Trustee.
- Drafted numerous insurance coverage opinions and advised claims representative of findings.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D., 2019, distinguished graduate
- University of Iowa, M.Phil., 2019
- University of Iowa, B.A., Philosophy, Political Science and Ethics & Public Policy, 2015
- Community College of the Air Force
- Iowa, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2019
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2020
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2020
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2020
Civic & Professional
- International Woman’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), Midwest Network’s Chair of Communications, 2021-2022