Brant is an experienced litigator and regulatory attorney focusing on energy and utilities permitting and litigation, condemnation and real estate litigation, and complex commercial litigation.
In his energy law practice, Brant represents clients in permitting and litigation proceedings before state utilities commissions, local boards and commissions, and state and federal courts. He represents utility companies, pipeline companies, and renewable energy developers and owners in the development and permitting of energy infrastructure projects, as well as in litigation.
In addition, Brant regularly represents energy and utility clients in eminent domain proceedings and real estate litigation. Brant has tried numerous condemnation commission hearings and litigated multiple real estate disputes related to energy facilities.
In addition to representing energy and utilities clients, Brant regularly represents individuals and businesses in contract, real estate, and business tort litigation. Brant represents clients in all phases of litigation, has tried numerous cases through both jury and bench trials and has argued before the Iowa Supreme Court, Iowa Court of Appeals, and Eighth Circuit Courts of Appeals.
- Represented electric transmission company in actions for condemnation of easements for electric transmission line. In Re Condemnation of Interests in Land by ITC Midwest, LLC (First Jud. Dist. Iowa, 2021).
- Assisted Invenergy, Inc. in securing permit for 150 MW wind facility and defending grant of permit against court challenge. Kossuth County Citizens for Rural Property Rights v. Kossuth Wind Energy LLC, et al. (Kossuth Co. Iowa 2020).
- Obtained district court judgment and Iowa Supreme Court victory in favor of wind energy developer in challenge to county board of supervisors’ grant of permit for 250 MW wind energy project. Mathis, et al. v. Palo Alto Wind Energy, LLC, 927 N.W.2d 191 (Iowa 2019).
- Represented pipeline company as part of Fredrikson team in obtaining permits and approvals from the Iowa Utilities Board for development of interstate crude oil pipeline. In re Dakota Access, LLC, Iowa Utils. Bd. Docket HLP-2014-0001 (Iowa 2016); Puntenney v. Iowa Utils. Bd., 928 N.W.2d 829 (Iowa 2021).
- Represented pipeline company in state-wide condemnation proceedings for interstate crude oil pipeline. In Re Condemnation of Lands by Dakota Access, LLC (Iowa, 2016).
- Obtained Iowa Court of Appeals affirmation of district court’s grant of summary judgment to financial institution client in UCC lien priority dispute. Westco Agronomy Company, LLC v. Iowa Plains Farms, Inc., et al. (Iowa Ct. App. 2013).
- Secured dismissal of breach of easement suit against pipeline company in Decatur County, Iowa state court litigation. Toney Ranch, Inc. et al. v. Magellan Pipeline Company, LP (Decatur County, Iowa 2011).
- Argued before the Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals and successfully defended claims on remand in jury trial regarding ownership of collection of Elvis Presley memorabilia. Est. of Pepper v. Whitehead, et al. (8th Cir. 2015).
- Drake University Law School, J.D., 2009, with highest honors
- Central College, B.A., 2006, cum laude
- Iowa, 2009
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, 2011
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2010
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2011
- U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2012
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin, 2014
- Great Plains Super Lawyers Rising Star, Business/Corporate, 2016-2019
- Order of the Coif
Civic & Professional
- Iowa State Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Polk County Bar Association, Member
- Iowa Association for Justice, Member
- Drake Law Review
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
Presenter, Strategies for Drafting Non-Compete and Non-Solicitation Agreements, Fredrikson & Byron’s Employment Law Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa, September 24, 2015
Presenter, A Review of Iowa’s Unemployment Compensation Laws and Process, Fredrikson & Byron’s Employment Law Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa, October 7, 2014
Author, “Carbon Sequestration as Agriculture’s Newest Market: The State of Play for Carbon Cap-and-Trade,” Drake Journal of Agricultural Law, 2010
Author, “Highlighting the Drawbacks of the UIGEA: Proposed Rules Reveal Heavy Burdens,” 57 Drake Law Review 515, 2009