John counsels business owners and executives on effective ways to accomplish their tactical and strategic business goals in light of applicable law.
He works with both public and private companies on mergers and acquisitions, corporate finance, securities, Board of Director duties and general corporate matters. His experience includes private and fully registered mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, leveraged and management buyouts, corporate restructurings, capital formation, public and private securities offerings, defensive advisory work, private equity and venture capital transactions, joint ventures, and strategic alliances. John serves as corporate secretary for public and private companies, advises senior management and Boards of Directors on a wide range of corporate issues, and assists sellers and buyers of businesses execute their transactions in an effective and efficient manner.
- Represents executives and owners in solving their corporate legal challenges, including formation, growth initiatives, contracts, employment, compensation, intellectual property, government regulation and dispute resolution.
- Represents companies during their growth years and later liquidity events through a sale, IPO, recapitalization and other transitions.
- Represents companies as outside counsel in their general corporate needs and coordination of all legal services.
- Represents buyers, sellers, financial advisers and director committees in mergers, acquisitions and dispositions of businesses including private and public companies, strategic and financial participants, fully funded and highly leveraged, taxable and tax-free acquisitions and dispositions in technology, communications, manufacturing, retail and service industries.
- Represents companies and underwriters in all aspects of capital formation, including public and private securities offerings for issuers and underwriters in equity, convertible debt and straight debt offerings.
- Represents private equity and venture capital participants, on both buy and sell side.
- Represents public companies engaged in financial restructurings in and out of bankruptcy.
- Represents Boards of Directors in consideration and adoption of anti-takeover defensive measures, including charter amendments, poison pills and employment and other agreements.
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 1981
- Michigan State University, B.A., 1978
- Minnesota, 1981
Civic & Professional
- American Bar Association, Business Law Section and Mergers & Acquisitions Committee
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Business Law and Corporate Counsel Sections
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Securities Law Section
- Corporate Counsel Association of Minnesota, Past President and Chairman of Board of Directors