As chair of Trusts & Estates department, Mark manages the efforts of more than 20 attorneys firmwide. He represents high net worth individuals, multi-generational families and closely held corporations in tax, estate, succession and business planning.
Mark typically assumes the role of general counsel to operating businesses as well as to families and family offices, offering guidance on day-to-day legal and operational issues and identifying the resources needed to address a wide range of legal needs. Representative clients include a large medical device distributor, a multi-state construction company, community banks and family offices. Mark served as general counsel for the Estate of Prince Rogers Nelson – an engagement secured not only thanks to his deep expertise and experience but also, and just as importantly, because of his demonstrated concern for quietly protecting and serving his client in the face of a complicated and high-profile matter.
Mark’s approach depends on listening to the client attentively in order to understand how the interplay of business, tax and family issues affects each client in unique ways that call for individualized solutions. While many attorneys excel at identifying and cogently presenting the issues to the client, Mark goes a step further: he not only outlines the available options but also recommends the best course of action to take considering the client’s specific circumstances, business, family, personality, and risk tolerance. The solutions he offers are never cookie-cutter and always based on the client’s best interests.
- University of Iowa College of Law, J.D.
- Iowa State University, B.S.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota
- U.S. Tax Court
- Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law; Litigation-Trusts and Estates; Trusts and Estates, 15+ years
- AV Preeminent® Peer Review Rated, Martindale-Hubbell, 2023
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Estate Planning & Probate, 20+ years
- Fellow, American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
Civic & Professional
- American College of Trust and Estate Counsel
- Minnesota State Bar Association
- Hennepin County Bar Association
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Probate and Trust Law Section
- Minnesota Zoo Foundation, Board of Trustees, Secretary and Past Member