Megan provides clients smart and business-centered advice on privacy law compliance, and data licensing and security matters.
Megan is a Certified Information Privacy Professional accredited by the International Association of Privacy Professionals. In this role, she counsels clients on privacy law compliance matters, including the drafting of privacy notices, corporate training materials, and information security and data retention policies. She also assists clients with their investigations and responses to security incidents and data breaches.
Megan further applies her experience negotiating technology development, distribution, and procurement contracts to her review of clients’ management and monetization of data assets. Megan supports clients who are developing technology-based products or services as they partner with vendors, service providers, or brokers who will be supplying, processing, storing, or transmitting key data, including personal information.
Working closely with our Corporate Division, Megan also conducts intellectual property, technology and data privacy due diligence for private equity and strategic buyers and sellers. She advises start-up and late-stage businesses engaged in financing transactions on technology and data licensing, use and ownership issues. She serves clients in a wide variety of industries, including publishing, fintech, IT infrastructure, communications, distribution, manufacturing and life sciences.
As a Certified Legal Project Manager®, Megan uses the techniques and tools familiar to many of Fredrikson’s corporate clients to manage client matters. She also leads internal process improvement, knowledge management and client service projects. These projects improve efficiencies, maintain quality standards and enhance client satisfaction.
Privacy Law Compliance
- Assisted education technology company with developing and publishing privacy notices in compliance with Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 (“COPPA”) and new product license terms that address institutional customer’s Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (“FERPA”) and state-specific (e.g., New York State Education Law Section 2-D) obligations related to student data.
- Advised media organization on a process for responding to consumer requests made under various privacy laws, including the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), the EU/UK General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
- Advised a multi-location healthcare provider on considerations to be made when adopting a new process for accepting credit card payments and ensuring compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (“PCI DSS”).
- Drafted language for use by a fintech software company in its standard customer contracts to establish its role as a service provider for the purposes of the CCPA.
- Negotiated license agreement with data broker providing data for use in modeling and scoring the value of marketing leads and for verifying the accuracy of various third party’s customer relationship management (“CRM”) system data.
- Provided middleware company using global service providers’ application programming interfaces (“APIs”) advice regarding limitations of applicable license agreements and potential challenges certain terms present in the context of a future exit.
- Provided cryptocurrency mining services company advice regarding how to structure terms of a service agreement to ensure the company owns the software and technology built in connection with a particular customer engagement.
- Represented medical reference laboratory in its negotiation of a sponsored testing program agreement with a multinational biotechnology company.
- Represented a globally prominent healthcare system in its procurement of several technology products and services, including on-premise software, SaaS solutions and capital equipment.
- Represented a clinical-stage medical therapies company in its negotiation of NDAs with potential collaborators.
Mergers & Acquisitions & Corporate Transactions
- Represented private equity investment firm in its acquisition of a digital fundraising services company that operates a data lake and leverages several proprietary applications, algorithms and models in its business.
- Represented a developer and provider of SaaS tools for e-commerce sellers in its sale to a private equity buyer.
- Represented a Minneapolis-based digital product studio in its acquisition by a full-service business and technology consultancy.
- Represented a private equity fund in the $1.4 billion sale of a distribution portfolio company to a private equity buyer.
- Certified Information Privacy Professional, International Association of Privacy Professionals, 2021
- LegalBizDev Certified Legal Project Manager® Program, 2019
- University of St. Thomas School of Law, J.D., concentration in Organizational Ethics and Compliance, magna cum laude
- DePaul University, B.A.
- Minnesota, 2015
- Law Clerk, Honorable William H. Koch, State of Minnesota, 2016-2017
Civic & Professional
- Minnesota State Bar Association, Member
- Hennepin County Bar Association, Member
- University of St. Thomas School of Law IP and Technology Law Advisory Committee, Member
- The Hennepin Lawyer Magazine Committee, Member; Vice Chair, 2020-2022
- University of St. Thomas School of Law First Year Curriculum, ROADMAP Coach
News & Insights
Publications & Presentations
“SEC Proposes New Cybersecurity Risk Management Rules for Advisers and Funds,” FredNEWS: Data Protection & Cybersecurity, February 18, 2022
Co-Author, “Virginia Becomes Second State to Pass Comprehensive Consumer Privacy Law,” FredNEWS: Technology & Data, March 16, 2021
“Inside View: Vulnerability,” Hennepin Lawyer, January/February 2021
Co-Author, “Privacy Considerations for Protective Health Measures,” FredNEWS: COVID-19 Employment Question of the Day, June 5, 2020