Lora Friedemann, Thomas R. Hipkins, Ann M. Ladd, Kurt J. Niederluecke, Charles D. Segelbaum and David C. West were featured in the 2018 edition of the IAM Patent 1000.
David helps clients of all sizes with their intellectual property issues and technology concerns. His work includes developing, acquiring, protecting, enforcing and commercializing patents, trademarks, trade secrets, copyrights and know-how. His clients work in a variety of industries, including life sciences, medical device, health care, software, manufacturing, advertising, design, service and retail.
David assists clients with their intellectual property, commercial and transactional needs, including analyzing, advising on and negotiating license, development and affiliation agreements relating to items such as medical device technology and software. He keeps businesses up to date on the legal issues surrounding developments relating to e-commerce, such as protecting and policing intellectual property on the internet, domain name issues, privacy concerns, web content agreements, and legal audits of websites. His practice involves all aspects of intellectual property, including U.S. and foreign patent and trademark prosecution, copyrights, trade secrets, and unfair competition.
- The client developed an advanced genetic analysis system for research. A Japanese entity held patents on producing emulsions and microcapsules that would enhance the client’s system. David negotiated the royalty-bearing worldwide license to the patent family allowing the client to incorporate the technology into its system.
- The client developed a patented method for extracting oil from oil-based shingles. David negotiated a royalty-bearing license with another entity that allowed for the construction and operation of oil extracting plants across the U.S. and Canada using the patented process.
- The client had worked with a doctor at a large clinic to develop an invention relating to a transvaginal system for apical support. David negotiated a license granting the client the exclusive right to incorporate the invention into its line of health care products.
Articles & Presentations
May 1, 2018
No matter how much IP experience a person has, it can be valuable to have short, easy-to-consume reminders of the basic things a company should consider.
Six Fredrikson & Byron Attorneys Recognized in Intellectual Asset Management’s 2017 Patent 1000 Guide
June 7, 2017
Fredrikson & Byron attorneys Lora Friedemann, Thomas R. Hipkins, Ann M. Ladd, Kurt J. Niederluecke, Charles D. Segelbaum and David C. West were featured in the 2017 edition of the IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals.
Six Fredrikson & Byron Attorneys Recognized in Intellectual Asset Management’s 2016 Patent 1000 Guide
June 1, 2016
Debuting in the 2016 edition of the IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals were Lora Friedemann and Ann M. Ladd. Also ranked again were Thomas R. Hipkins, Kurt J. Niederluecke, Charles D. Segelbaum and David C. West. The IAM Patent 1000 identifies the top patent professionals in key jurisdictions around the world.
Four Fredrikson & Byron Attorneys Recognized in Intellectual Asset Management’s 2015 Patent 1000 Guide
July 8, 2015
May 9, 2014
The Minnesota State Bar Association (MSBA) recognized 67 current Fredrikson & Byron attorneys as North Star Lawyers.
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “Moving Beyond Boilerplate: Key Considerations for Getting the Right Indemnification Provision in Your IP Licenses,” 2015 Midwest IP Institute, September 17-18, 2015
- Presenter, “IP Issues in Commercial Agreements,” 2013 Midwest IP Institute, September 26-27, 2013
Honors & Education
- University of Minnesota Law School, J.D., 1990, cum laude
- Wagner Moot Court
- University of Wisconsin-Madison, B.S., Engineering Mechanics, 1987
- Minnesota, 1990
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1991
- U.S. Patent & Trademark Office, 1991
- Listed in IAM Patent 1000: The World’s Leading Patent Professionals, 2015-2018
- Intellectual Asset Management’s Patent 1000, Recommended Attorney for Licensing, 2013
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2012-2013
- University of Minnesota Office of Technology Transfer
- Licensing Executive Society
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- President, Board of Directors, The Origins Program, 2013
- Board of Directors Past President, The Amnicon Foundation, 2010-2011