John concentrates his practice on construction and real estate law. He represents owners, architects, contractors, subcontractors, engineers and suppliers, in both the public and private sector, who are engaged in commercial and industrial construction, including the energy and biofuels industries.
John has drafted and negotiated countless construction contracts and subcontracts, design build agreements, A/E agreements, EPC contracts and BOP contracts, as well as domestic and foreign supply chain contracts, for his clients.
John also represents his clients in connection with construction claims and dispute resolution, whether in litigation, arbitration or mediation. He has handled hundreds of claims relating to construction and design defects, delays, acceleration, suspension, loss of productivity, weather, insurance coverage, audits, liens, bonds, DBE compliance and change orders, to name a few.
John also provides legal advice to lenders, developers, contractors, commercial landlords, tenants and other business entities. He assists clients with acquisitions, sales, leasing and development of commercial and residential properties, which includes negotiating and drafting purchase agreements and leases, property tax appeals, mortgages, mechanics liens and sale-leaseback transactions. John also assists clients with real estate issues related to tax exempt bond financing.
John has served as a mediator or arbitrator in more than 100 cases primarily in the areas of construction, general commercial litigation and real estate. He is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s panel of construction arbitrators.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- “Construction Delay, Suspension & Acceleration,” Federal Publications, Inc., Las Vegas, NV, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2008, 2007, 1996; Washington, DC, 2006, 2004, 2003; New Orleans, LA, 2005, 1997; Hilton Head, SC, 2000, 1999, 1998; San Francisco, CA, 1998
- “Enforcing Mechanic’s Liens,” Minnesota Institute of Legal Education and other CLE sponsors, 2009, 2008, 2005, 1995, 1993, 1992, 1991, 1990, 1988
- “Mechanics Liens and Payment Bond Claims,” Professional Education Systems, Minnesota Institute of Legal Education and other CLE sponsors, 2001, 1997, 1996, 1993, 1991
- “Design-Build Construction,” Lorman Education Seminars, 2000
- “Construction Contracting for Public Entities,” Lorman Education Seminars, 2000
- “Construction Litigation Avoidance,” Lorman Education Seminars, 2002, 1999
- “Lien Law on Line – Minnesota Chapter on Mechanic’s Liens,” Construction Publications, Inc., 2001
- “Fifty States Public Construction Contracting – Minnesota Chapter,” Wiley Law Publications, 1996
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 1982
- St. John’s University, 1979
- Minnesota, 1982
- U.S. District Court for the District of Minnesota, 1982
- Wisconsin, 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America, Litigation - Construction, 2017-present
- Chambers USA: America’s Leading Lawyers for Business, Construction, Minnesota
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory Rating “AV”
- Named a “Super Lawyer” by Minnesota Law and Politics, Minneapolis St. Paul Magazine, and Twin Cities Business
- Former President, Ramsey County Bar Association Foundation, 2009-2012; Board Member, 2005-2012
- Board Member and Vice President of Camping and Properties, Northern Star Council, Boy Scouts of America, 1993-present
- Board of Trustees, Chair of Buildings and Grounds Committee, St. Thomas Academy, 2004-present
- Past President, St. John’s University Alumni Association, 1998-99