Michael delivers value to clients from his deep experience in the legal and financial aspects of global cross-border mergers, acquisitions and ongoing international business operations.
Michael has legal experience as both a law firm lawyer and as China general counsel of a global special situations acquisition firm. He also has eight years of financial experience as an investment banker heading the Shanghai office of a global investment banking firm specializing in cross border mergers and acquisitions (M&A).
Michael started handling transactions in China in 1995 and has been a full-time resident of China since 2008. He has represented European and North American buyers and sellers of businesses located around the world. He has also represented Chinese buyers and sellers of businesses in Europe, North America, South America, China, Singapore, Japan and other Asian countries. He has experience in legal and financial aspects of cross-border M&A and operational issues across a wide range of industries. Michael’s experience includes deal structuring, business and document negotiations, due diligence, closing, post-closing operational issues including dispute resolution and financial restructuring. His projects include joint ventures and transactions with Fortune 100 and other public companies, privately owned enterprises, private equity and venture capital funds and Chinese state-owned enterprises.
Acquisition of Pan-Asia Design & Distribution Business
Responsible for matters related to the acquisition by an investment fund of a business with operations located in Singapore, Macau, Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines and Vietnam from listed European public company
Sale of Business in Singapore & Macau
Responsible for matters related to the negotiation and sale of a design/distribution business with operations in Singapore and Macau.
Debt Restructuring of Business in China
Responsible for matters related to the negotiation and restructuring of debt obligations of a business with operations in China and Singapore.
Sale of Foundry Business in China
Responsible for matters related to the sale of a precision iron foundry business in China to a Chinese buyer.
Sale of Leading Fashion Interiors Brand in China
Responsible for matters related to the sale of a leading international fashion brand’s China operations to a Chinese buyer.
Sale of Bathroom Fixtures Manufacturer in Vietnam
Responsible for matters related to the sale by a Chinese conglomerate of its manufacturing facility and associate business in Hanoi, Vietnam.
- Boston University School of Law, J.D., 1982, Edward F. Hennessey Scholar
- Boston University, B.A., 1979, cum laude
- Massachusetts, 1982
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 1982
- Florida, 1983 (inactive)
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit, 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia Circuit, 1994
Civic & Professional
- Association for Corporate Growth (China Chapter), Member, Board of Directors
- Massachusetts Alliance for International Business, Chairman, Board of Directors
- Greater China Business Council of New England, Member, Board of Directors
- Speaker at numerous China business-related events, including events sponsored by MIT, HBS, CEIBS and multiple M&A professional organizations