Jackson’s practice focuses on foreign direct investment into China, cross-border mergers and acquisitions, and general corporate, commercial and regulatory matters.
Jackson counsels American and international companies on their business ventures in and out of China. He advises clients on foreign direct investments, cross border mergers and acquisitions, China investment expansion, relocation and restructuring, foreign investment project approvals, labor downsizings, regulatory permitting and compliance issues, and various corporate and commercial issues.
Jackson has significant experience handling mergers, acquisitions and due diligence investigations. Additionally, he has advised companies on employment, intellectual property and commercial matters. Jackson has a wide range of industry experience, including electronics, chemicals, auto parts, industrial components and consumables, and bio-tech.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented U.S. electronics companies in:
- £118 million equity acquisition of an EU company
- $50 million assets acquisition of a Taiwanese company
- $86 million acquisition of the subsidiaries of a Japanese company
- $60 million acquisition of the assets of a Chinese company
- Represented a U.S. industrial components company in:
- $143 million equity acquisition of a Chinese company in Guangdong
- RMB160 million buy-out of the Chinese partner of a JV in Shanghai
- $2 million buy-out of the Chinese partner of a JV in Shandong
Foreign Direct Investment
- Represented a U.S. chemical company’s $38 million equity JV with a Chinese chemicals company
- Represented a U.S. engineered components company’s $5 million JV with a Chinese company
- Represented a U.S. company's $17 million investment in a Chinese bio-science start-up
- Assisted with various U.S. companies’ restructurings of Chinese businesses, including equity/assets transfers and mergers
- Assisted with various U.S. companies’ liquidation/deregistration of their Chinese entities and offices
Employment & Labor
- Represented a U.S. company’s layoff of over 2,500 employees in Shenzhen
- Represented a U.S. electronics company’s layoff of over 300 employees in Tianjin
- Registered and transferred trademarks for various U.S./EU companies
- Represented a U.S. industrial components company’s Chinese IP restructuring
- Negotiated various U.S./EU companies’ supply, contract manufacturing, distribution, consignment, agency, licensing and other commercial arrangements in China
- Advised clients on resolution of commercial disputes and draft/review indemnity/settlement agreements
- Advised clients on regulatory compliance issues, including environmental permitting, land zoning and construction permitting, work safety, manufacturing permits and mandatory standards, data privacy, merger control filing, government expropriation, etc.
- University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, LL.M., 2009
- Shanghai Institute of Foreign Trade, Master of Laws, 2002
- Dongbei University of Finance and Economics, B.A., 1998
- National Bar Qualification, PRC (Inactive), 2004
- New York, 2009