Jeremy Greenhouse advises clients regarding regulatory compliance, permitting, enforcement, rulemaking and litigation matters involving all major Minnesota and federal environmental laws.
Jeremy has represented businesses in the mining, agricultural, biofuel and energy industries. He regularly helps achieve client goals with state and federal regulatory agencies, including the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources, and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, and he has argued high-profile environmental law cases before Minnesota trial and appellate courts, including the Minnesota Supreme Court.
Jeremy handles a wide range of permitting and compliance matters arising under the Clean Water Act, including issues involving NPDES permits, Section 404 wetland permits, Section 401 certifications, and antidegradation, as well as water issues arising primarily under state law, including Minnesota SDS permits and groundwater regulation. His work includes conducting and challenging environmental review under NEPA and MEPA, as well as advising on New Source Review, Title V Permitting, and other Clean Air Act matters. Jeremy also assists clients regarding brownfields, contaminated property remediation, and legal issues arising under CERCLA and MERLA.
A frequent author and speaker on environmental law matters, Jeremy writes a monthly “Environmental Law Update” for the Minnesota State Bar Association’s Bench & Bar magazine and is past editor of the Federal Bar Association’s Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources newsletter. Since 2020, Jeremy has been named by Thomson Reuters as a Minnesota Super Lawyer for environmental law. In addition to his environmental law practice, Jeremy provides pro bono representation for low-income tenants and home buyers, through organizations including the Hennepin County Housing Court Clinic and the City of Lakes Community Land Trust.
- Represented taconite mining company in appeal of first Minnesota reissuance of tailings basin NPDES permit in three decades, arguing environmental issues of first impression before the Minnesota Court of Appeals and Minnesota Supreme Court.
- Represented agricultural company in proceeding before the Minnesota Office of Administrative Hearings, obtaining an order that a longstanding water quality policy of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency was invalid as an unadopted rule.
- Represented major municipality in negotiating favorable settlement of Endangered Species Act action.
- Defended wastewater treatment facility against Clean Water Act citizen suit.
- Represented international airport in negotiating amendment to consent decree with multiple municipalities concerning noise mitigation.
- Co-drafted amicus brief to Minnesota Supreme Court for national trade association on “sham permitting” under the Clean Air Act.
- Co-drafted amicus brief to Minnesota Supreme Court for business association concerning the Minnesota Environmental Rights Act and the Public Trust Doctrine.
- Conducted multi-media environmental audits for numerous sites of major manufacturing company, assessing compliance with regulatory requirements relating to air emissions, wastewater, stormwater, hazardous waste, EPCRA, storage tanks, and spill reporting, among others.
- Represented agricultural company in working with state environmental protection agency to develop and finalize unique, multi-site individual industrial stormwater permit.
- Represented manufacturing company in reaching favorable settlement of Title V air permit enforcement action by state pollution agency.
- Led external legal team for international manufacturing company project to identify and address wastewater and stormwater compliance issues in facilities across the U.S.
- Assisted manufacturing company in responding to EPA Clean Air Act information request.
- Advised mining company on numerous issues regarding mine pit progression project, including environmental review, state and federal water-discharge permitting, antidegradation, and water appropriation.
- Advised non-ferrous mining company on permitting issues for proposed mining project, including those relating to mining, dam safety, surface and groundwater discharges, water appropriation, air emissions, environmental review, and wetlands.
- Advised biofuel company on air permitting strategies for new biofuel manufacturing facility.
- Represented ethanol trade group as part of national team drafting and filing successful Clean Air Act fuel waiver petition for E15.
- Negotiated easement agreement for client concerning carbon sequestration pipeline.
- Negotiated settlement to Superfund lawsuit for responsible party, including remediation access agreement and traffic management plan.
- Drafted and negotiated numerous access agreements concerning contaminated property remediation under CERCLA and MERLA.
- Represented taconite mining company in transfer of contaminated legacy mine site, including allocation of environmental liabilities and permit responsibilities, and amendment of consent decree.
- Represented manufacturing company in stock purchase transaction, addressing all environment issues, including allocation of liability, review of Phase I and Phase II reports, and transfer of permits.
- Advised manufacturing company on settlement of liability for cleanup of Superfund site in Illinois; negotiated settlement terms.
Articles & Presentations
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Author of annual updates, “Environmental Protection,” chapter 9 of “Real Estate Law” in Westlaw’s Minnesota Practice Series, 2019–present
- Author, Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Law, Monthly Update, Bench & Bar of Minnesota, 2012–present
- Presenter, “Environmental Case Law Relevant to the Midwest Mining Industry,” Society for Mining, Metallurgy, and Exploration (SME), Minnesota Section 2022 Conference, April 2022
- Presenter, “Ghosts of Water Wars Future: The Great Lakes Compact and The Coming Freshwater Crisis,” Alumni CLE Series, Mitchell Hamline School of Law, October 2021
- Co-presenter, “Environmental Law Update – What You Missed This Summer When You Were Up at the Cabin,” Minnesota State Bar Association CLE, October 2021
- Author, “Ghosts of Water Wars Future: The Great Lakes Compact and The Coming Freshwater Crisis,” Bench & Bar of Minnesota, August 2021
- Co-presenter, “Climate Change and Environmental Review,” Minnesota Environmental Institute, August 2020
- Presenter, “Water Law Update,” Annual Conference on the Environment, Upper Midwest Chapter of the Air and Waste Management Association and the Central States Environmental Association, November 2015, November 2016, November 2017, November 2018, November 2019
- Presenter, “Does the Clean Water Act Regulate Discharges to Groundwater? An Examination of Recent Case Law on the “Conduit Theory,” Minnesota Groundwater Association Fall Conference, November 2018
- Co-presenter, “Antidegradation: A Practical Guide,” Midwest Environmental Compliance Conference, Chicago IL, November 2016
- Presenter, “Clean Water Act Jurisdiction: Where We’ve Been and Where We’re Going,” 29th Annual Conference on the Environment, Upper Midwest Chapter of the Air and Waste Management Association and the Central States Environmental Association, November 2014
- Co-author, “There’s Sand in Them Thar Hills: Minnesota Races to Regulate the Frac Sand Boom,” Bench & Bar of Minnesota, April 2014
- Panelist, “Clean Water Act Section 404 Permit Program: Hot Topics and Practical Implications,” Hamline University School of Law, October 2013
- Co-presenter, “The Practical Aspects of Environmental Review,” Minnesota State Bar Association, Environmental, Energy and Natural Resources section CLE, April 2013
- Author, “Climate Change and the Common Law: Who’s to Pay for Global Warming?” Bench & Bar of Minnesota, February 2011
Honors & Education
- William Mitchell College of Law, J.D., 2003, magna cum laude
- University of Victoria, M.A., 1994
- McGill University, B.Mus., 1990, with honors
- Minnesota, 2003
- Minnesota Super Lawyers, Super Lawyer – Environmental Law, 2020-present
- Best Article of the Year Award, Bench & Bar of Minnesota, 2014
- Minnesota State Bar Association, North Star Lawyer, 2019, 2020
- Member, Minnesota Chamber of Commerce’s Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Subcommittee
- Member, Air and Waste Management Association
- Former Member, Minnesota State Bar Association’s Environment, Energy and Natural Resources Council
- Past Editor, Federal Bar Association’s Environment, Energy, and Natural Resources Newsletter
- Frequent Coach, youth basketball and soccer through Minneapolis Parks
- Member and Volunteer Musician, Saints Luke and James Episcopal Church, Minneapolis; Former Member, Vestry and Finance Committee
- Team Member, Twin Cities Adult Hockey League
- Musician, performing Celtic, Cajun and folk music at various venues and festivals