Kendra represents employers and businesses in many different industries at all stages of litigation and advises them outside of formal legal proceedings.
Kendra’s practice focuses on employment law and litigation, but her general business litigation background allows her to serve the wide-ranging legal needs of businesses and employers. In addition to advising employers on policies and employment decisions, she represents clients in state and federal court and in arbitration and other administrative proceedings. Before joining the firm, Kendra was an associate at Seigfreid Bingham, P.C. in Kansas City, where she practiced general business litigation and worked on matters involving transportation law, employment law and health care law, among other areas of law.
- Obtained dismissal of multiple civil rights complaints brought against employers by former employees.
- Drafts employment policies and handbooks.
- Advises clients on employment policies and various individual employment issues outside of litigation.
- Successfully affirmed district court’s grant of motion to dismiss case for failure to state a claim. Garrett & Vandewalle v. Branson Commerce Park Community Improvement District (10th Cir. 2016).
- Represented motor carrier in appealing agency’s unfavorable decision under federal Surface Transportation Assistance Act. TransAm Trucking, Inc. v. Admin. Review Board (10th Cir. 2016).
- Represented motor carrier in petitioning for review of FMCSA action regarding a settlement agreement. TransAm Trucking, Inc. v. Federal Motor Carrier Safety Admin. (10th Cir. 2015).
- Successfully represented businesses in bench and jury trials.
- Represented defendant national retail chain in complex, multi-million dollar arbitration.
- Defended motor carrier and multiple health care entities against discrimination and other employment claims.
- Represented defendants, including a motor carrier and professional sports franchise, in class actions in federal court.
- Assisted company in developing uniform procedure for collecting from non-paying customers.
- Revised contract documents for a service company to improve efficiency in the event matters resulted in litigation.
Articles & Presentations
September 7, 2017
At this time last year, employers were deciding how to comply with the Department of Labor’s new rule that more than doubled the salary threshold for exempt employees under the Fair Labor Standards Act.
October 7, 2016
Businesses with employees in California will be impacted by two recently-passed laws, one of which generally prohibits choice-of-law and choice-of-venue provisions in employment contracts with California employees and the other which penalizes employers for technical errors on pay stubs. Find out what action you can take to avoid penalties.Read More
PUBLICATIONS & PRESENTATIONS
- Presenter, “DOL Developments,” Fredrikson & Byron’s Employment Law Seminar, West Des Moines, IA, September 27, 2017
- Presenter, “Restrictive Covenants Refresher,” Fredrikson & Byron’s Employment Law Seminar, West Des Moines, IA, September 27, 2017
- Presenter, “Piecing Together the New Wage and Hour Reality,” Fredrikson & Byron’s Employment Law Seminar, Des Moines, Iowa, October 6, 2016
- Co-Author, “Courses of Action after Allegations of Misconduct,” American Bar Association Business Torts Journal, Winter 2014, Vol. 21, No. 2
- Author, “The End of Design-Defect Claims: The Supreme Court’s Immunization of Vaccine Manufacturers in Bruesewitz v. Wyeth LLC,” Washburn Law Journal, Vol. 51 No.3
Honors & Education
- Washburn University School of Law, J.D., 2013, magna cum laude
- Baker University, B.A., 2010, summa cum laude
- Iowa, 2016
- Kansas, 2014
- Missouri, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Missouri, 2013
- U.S. District Court for the District of Kansas, 2014
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit, 2014
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Iowa, 2016
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa, 2016
- Great Plains Super Lawyers, Rising Star – Employment Litigation: Defense, 2017
- J.L. Weigand, Jr. Notre Dame Legal Educational Trust
- Community Engagement Director, Young Professionals Connection
Washburn Law Journal, Technical Editor, 2012-2013; Staff Writer, 2011-2012
- Young Variety Iowa